Are you comfortable with voting now?

by Brummie 34 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I voted for the first time in 2000, at the age of 48. Since then, I've tried to vote in every election that's come along, though the town I'm living in certainly doesn't make it easy. Besides regular and primary elections, they seem to have special elections over town issues several times a year. I think every time someone circulates a petition, they declare a special election to consider it. I'm thinking of circulating a petition to require that all special elections be held off until the November general election, but they'd probably have to schedule yet another election for that.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I think in the Nov. 1st 1999 Watchtower questions from the readers it's okay to vote now. If your conscience allows...At least that's what it says.

Well, yeah, that's what it says, but every real JW knows that's not what it means!!

• KGB
    KGB

I had stopped voting back in the Reagan and Mondale election, I quit not because of the borg, hell I didnt even know what the borg was back then but because when I voted and I voted for Mondale, I got called for Jury duty, I could not afford to loose work to do a Jury duty and they threatened me with jail time if I didnt show so I figured out a way that I could get out of it all and then I quit voting. Now after all these years I am once again a registered voter and I am registered as an Independant. I believe in voting for the best person for the job. Republican, Democrat or Independant alike....But I registered this time just to put one more vote against G.W.Bush (cant stand the guy)

• Hamas
    Hamas

Just give me that chance, man.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

This year I voted in the Scottish regional elections, for the first time.

It had a buzz about it, being the first time and all.

My candidate lost though

• blondie
    blondie

Having worked for the government and around politicians for years, who would I vote for?

Jerry Garcia said, "Choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil."

If I lived in California, I might consider voting for Arnold.

Blondie

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, I voted two weeks ago in our provincial election. Happy to say my candidate won.

It took me till I was 35 to decide to vote. A friend of mine was running, so I registered for her party and worked as a volunteer before and during the election. Ever since then, I have enjoyed being a 'part of the process'.

brummie,

It is one of those things that is instilled deep in a lot of us (not to vote) and I know it can be a big deal to overcome. It was for moi. Sounds like you would like to vote, my friend. If so, just take a deep breath, and do it. You may have butterflies on the way to the voting box (at least I did), but once you have done it, I would be willing to bet that you'll no longer feel uncomfortable with casting your ballot. It gives me a real sense of being part of the community.

Question for Americans:

So, when you register to vote, you must declare either a party or independent? The reason I ask is, here in Canada, you just register, show proof of citizenship, and ID or some other paper (eg. phone bill) that proves your address is correct so that you are voting only at your polling station. This helps prevent double voting (corruption).

Here, your party of choice is completely anonymous. Those who register with a specific party do that independently with the specific party. It has nothing to do with the actual voting process.

Funny, isn't it? We live next door, yet know so little about each other (sigh). It's really too bad.

How about you folks across the pond? How does it work there?

tal

ps. to iiz2cool - good luck with the election!!

• smurfette
    smurfette

I love to vote! I'm a registered Democrat/Independent too. The canidates I've picked haven't won recently but at least I've put in my 2 cents. I figure if you don't vote you have no right to complain about the current state of affairs, and that's something I love to do too.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Big Tex, I think the "politically neutral" stance is simply one more way to keep JWs isolated, ignorant and depressed! All being "politically neutral" means in practice is being in favor of the status quo. Which, actually, the Watchtower is, but I can't find any evidence that Jesus was.

• jwbot
    jwbot

I am 21 years old, I wish I voted in the last presidential election, but I was still a little scared.

Well, just a couple days ago, I printed off my registration application and am mailing it out tomorrow as a registered democrat!

I am very excited.

I have always been interested in politics, and felt guilty that I had such strong opinions but did not excersize my most basic right in a democratic nation-voting. Well I am doing that this time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit