Sunday's Watchtower Study March 18... Another Money Appeal

by BluesBrother 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

The overlapping donations (tm).

G.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Jehovah dignifies us with the opportunity to support the grand work taking place today. He guarantees that we will receive blessings when we give MONEY in support of the Kingdom.

Jehovah promises that the one who gives MONEY generously will prosper.

Giving MONEY also makes us happy, for “there is more happiness in giving MONEY than there is in receiving.

• LV101
    LV101

I recall their henchmen blathering late 80s how every single thing we have belongs to Jehovah and how we want to honor him with all of our possessions, monies, time -- on and on ad nauseum. At least one can flip the channel if it's a TV evangelist selling snake oil.

Never heard them spout the line about giving = prospering. Must have missed that gem.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Never heard them spout the line about giving = prospering. Must have missed that gem. -- LV101

Another "gem," although totally unrelated (just thought of it), is what a zealous but metaphoric-mixing sister enthused:

"When we find a spark of interest, we want to be sure to water it!"

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Jehovah is worthy of all the glory and honor that we can give him by offering the best that we have?

The implication from the WT here is that the best that JWs have is their money!

"Religion (truly is) is a snare and a racket".

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

A couple of years ago, I casually asked a zealous JW friend how he would react if the GB sent a letter to all congregations stating that the org was on the brink of financial collapse and begged JW home - owners to earnestly consider consolidating their properties by selling up and moving in with another JW household - and then send the proceeds of sale to the org, in order to prevent bankruptcy.

I was pleasantly surprised when he said he wouldn't sell his house for the org! :)

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Then there were these little nuggets of wisdom B.S..."In other cases Jehovah’s people gave financial support to those taking the lead in the work...Jesus and his apostles benefited from the generosity
    of the women “who were ministering to them from their belongings. Green handshakes not so subtly being "suggested".

Today, we too may be asked to make donations for a specific purpose. For example, a new Kingdom Hall or your current Kingdom Hall being renovated. Where? If that is the case why the current video about going to whatever KH we are ordered to attend, so other KH's can be sold off and the money sent to New York? This doesn't pass the smell test!

Our brothers who are in poor economic situations, in “deep poverty” begged for the privilege to
    give. Can the blatant spirit of begging through guilt be any more egregious?

With prayerful consideration, the Governing Body strives to be faithful
    and discreet with regard to how the organization’s funds are used. You mean like that $4,000.00 per day fine, or the awards to victims of tolerated child abuse, in WT quest to shut them up and cover over the crimes?

In recent years, there have been many exciting new initiatives. At times, this resulted in more money going out than coming in for a period of time. How does less printing, less "special" pioneers, less circuit overseers, NO district overseers, less Bethelites, less branch locations, less New York buildings, less assembly days all add up to MORE money going out?

Worldwide, nearly 2,500 Kingdom Halls are currently in the process of being built or extensively renovated. So which is it? The thousands they claimed to need BEFORE the money grab, the mere hundreds they claimed AFTER the money grab, or the 2,500 they now claim here?

There is something seriously wrong with the reasoning in this truly cringe-worthy piece of tripe article openly begging for more money!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Anyone who thinks they aren’t in serious trouble isn’t paying attention. This is full on begging with “prosperity doctrine” bribery on top.

But Witnesses are deeply stingy and will not be roused to give more money easily, or at all. Print literature has been all but abandoned. They are being asked for more money at a time when they are being provided less than ever in return. And congregation autonomy over finances has been removed. Even JWs notice these things.

• carla
    carla

I find it odd that my jw has no problem throwing stones at other religions when they ask for money or even pay their ministers but refuses to follow the money trail with the wt.

• sir82
    sir82

I loved this little gem from paragraph 12:

Imitating the examples of Ezra and Paul, our organization today follows strict procedures when it comes to handling and spending donated funds.

Oooooh, OK. Well so long as the "procedures" are "strict", hey, good enough for me!

Reminds me of the "top.....men" scene in Raiders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy4_h7Pb3M

"Strict.....procedures"

"Top........men"

Yep, about the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit