Special Pioneer Vow Of Obedience And Poverty Contract - Is This Legit?

by pale.emperor 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blownaway
    blownaway

Reminds me of the billion year contract of the other big cult scientology.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I actually was going to call bullshit on this, it just looks and reads so culty and number 6 is blatantly just taking money from the pioneers.

If it wasnt for Howies name on it i would have laughed it off.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I bet that exactly what happened in 2002, they made some update to the wording. Maybe atlantis or someone else has an old copy we could compare too

• St George of England
    St George of England

I remember reading an experience on here some years ago of a couple who were assigned as missionaries in some Asian country. The condition of being allowed into the country was that they did secular work and they taught English. However, the couple had to send their salary to the WT Society despite having to do this work in addition to their missionary hours.

George

• flipper
    flipper

PALE - " it just looks and reads so culty " . Precisely. That's what we are dealing with here- a dangerous mind control cult called WT Society AKA Jehovah's Witnesses . Just as much a cult as Scientology, Warren Jeff's Mormon's , or People's Temple. The control is just as extreme , but a bit more subtly applied so JW members won't notice it as much

• Giordano
    Giordano

Didn't they stop paying the special pioneers a couple of years ago?

The first special pioneers I met was back in 1960 when I served as a pioneer in NW Pennsylvania one of those 'where the need is great' congos.

They were two young (20's) sisters. One was a knock out, fitted the 'special' . However she was very private........ turns out she had reason to be. She was getting engaged to her bible study (I guess both sisters studied with him).

The Presiding Minister was a little upset about this situation and her pioneer partner had a melt down and left town. This was all going on in my first week. A lot of Drama.

They did get engaged......... then married. He was a great guy. They left the area and that was that.

• HowieTran
    HowieTran

Pale.emperor, this was the "Vow of Obedience and Poverty" we signed at Bethel in 2002. I do not know if "special pioneers" signed the same vow, but I believe all "special full-time servants" were in the same "order" at that time (DOs, COs, Missionaries, international construction workers, assembly hall caretakers, perhaps special pioneers too). Regular pioneers of course were not in the "order".

You said: blatantly just taking money from the pioneers
  • carla
    carla

I am curious about the wording 'worldwide order', are r & f aware of this?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

carla: I am curious about the wording 'worldwide order', are r & f aware of this?

Depends. Do they actually read the WT literature?

It gets a 'name-check' each year in the Yearbook/Service Report

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/2017-service-year-report/2017-grand-totals/

• carla
    carla

Thank you darkspilver, I remember my jw making fun of something that also used similar wording. Wonder what he thinks now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit