BigRocksFirst

by DevilsAdvocate_DA 20 Replies latest jw friends

• DevilsAdvocate_DA
    DevilsAdvocate_DA

OutnFree, many I call you sister?

Sister, that was one fine post. If more would be up front, instead of hiding behind, whatever. We would have a more honest group.

Sis, what I mean by this is, and I am not saying you and not in all cases other here, but by a large number, everyone is blaming someone else for their problems of life. We need to be responsible humans and carry our own problems as long as we can.

In my personal opinion you are doing the correct thing in going back to the Bible.

On another personal view, I never tell anyone I am one of JW's (unless I am in house to house work) I aways say lets see what the Bible has to say. For me the Bible is a good book to live by. For example, one point, if I can apply Galation 5:22-23 in my life I think I will be doing ok. I keep trying. Sis, this might sound strange to you, but I don't ask Jehovah to solve this problem or that problem for me no more than an adult after leaving his parents home is forever going back for advice. If the parents did a good job of setting down good standards that adult will know what to do. The same with Jehovah and His word the Bible. The standards are good if your looking for the good and not focusing on the bad.

On the matter of looking into other books of wisdom, I encourage you to do so. I do. We can find good advice from books of whatever, as long as they are for our good health -- mentality, physically and emotionaly.

DA

• DevilsAdvocate_DA
    DevilsAdvocate_DA

Brother,

You, like myself, have found words of wisdom in Jehovah's word.

Thanks for that very positive view on reality.

What I have said, I have said.

DA

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

It's stupid to try to justify toting a Mason jar full of metaphysical rocks around. I dropped all that extraneous God crap after I learned to think for myself. No jar, no rocks, no dilemma. No god necessary. Just life, unadulterated with imaginary skydaddies and untrammeled by the orgiastic need for some 'spiritual' experience or 'guidance'.

Herd animals need to be led. The concepts of sin and salvation are potent carrot/stick devices, but I refuse to get in that harness and I totally repudiate the veracity of the whole religion grinding mechanism. If you need to be led, fine, go find the salvation package that comforts you, and work the program. Probably you wouldn't be able to survive on your own anyway. Herd animals need their pecking order to feel secure. Just don't tell me I need to join your herd.

It's also not my business to find you a replacement crutch just because you are too scared to think for yourself without the guidance of some hierarchical dogma. Most JWs ask 'what replacement are you offering?' and that is a stupid question. THe whole point is, you're supposed to follow the path ON YOUR OWN. It's not our place to give you a roadmap and mollycoddle you along the safest path. That's Christer interfering authoritarian thinking, and it's one of the great EVILS of our world.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Thank you DA for confirming my belief in the judgemental, non-thinking ability of most JWs and other fundies....
    Mommie Dark....ROFLMAO...I couldn't have said it anywhere near as well as you did and I totally agree with you.
    DA...I'll try to explain this in simple words so that you will understand: First, I am not offering you a damn thing; that's not my responsibility and, if you'll notice, I made no claims in my post to the contrary. You'll also notice I did not ask you for any help in that area as that is not YOUR responsibility. I have no problem whatsoever if you want to worship God, Jehovah, Jesus, Allah, etc. etc....however, I do have a problem with people trying to cram their belief systems down my throat.
    Secondly...you ask "where's the beef?"...I wasn't aware of sharing any beefs with you in my post...I am aware of sharing one, ONE mind you, of the positives in my life currently. I am not interested in sharing with someone of your limited compassionate abilities anything else of my life that I find satisfying or joyful. As for making your life better, I suggest that you stop asking others to figure that out for you and start attempting to think for yourself...but then, that's just MHO.

One more thing: You mention "damning someone" for their beliefs...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You've got to be kidding me! You're the only one I see jumping on anyone for their opinions! At least, until now...
    Dana

"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."
    Somebody else

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

DA:

I know the point of the illustration. It's not the first time I've heard it.

You spew the regular religionist spiel: "here's what the important things in your life should be. Oh, you don't agree! Then what do you have to offer?"

Why the hell should I offer anything? Who appointed me to that position? Or you? Or anyone? What qualifies you? Where's your certificate with God's signature?

My reply to your post was entirely impersonal. You chose to take it as a personal attack. I did not "damn you". Nor am I obligated to give replacement guidance or direction to that which you offer. I wish to let people decide for themselves what the most important things in their lives are, not heap rocks on them. It is up to you to decide what is best for your own life.

I suspect the kind of people who would be drawn to the viewpoints given in reply to your post, are people who wish to be able to think and decide for themselves, not be dictated to or coerced with "what better stuff do you have to offer us, then" reasoning.

This is not a kingdom hall. We will not all sit and nod dreamily at falacious illustrations. Given the tone of your reply, that's the truth that is hurting, here.

If there is a God up there, then please save me from those who think they know what is best for me!

Expatbrit

• BugEye
    BugEye

Riz,

Excellent point about limited abilities and expansion.

Safe

open our minds to new ideas, new people, new attitudes and new behaviours

This is really the point of humanity, and if we were made in Gods image then our thinking abilities are not only vast but should also be used to the fullest.

DA.

Dogmatism and assumption are the curse of humankind and it is easy to see that it is dangerous and detrimental. This applies to all beliefs which are not founded in hard unambiguous evidence. It includes all religious belifs and evolution which is of itself a theory of existence.

I do not claim to know what all the evidence indicates as to the correct belief if there is one, but I do know what it conclusively proves is NOT correct. It indicates that Jehovahs Witnesses are a religious organisation that if one assumes the bible is true are closely related in attitude and dogma to the Pharisees and not to Jesus teachings.

(Compare Matt 10:11-15 and Matt 23:15)

Choosing what to believe is a personal decision, and real christians would not attack ad hominum. Since even the very basis for your bible canon is based upon the teachings of a religion that you continually confess to be in stark error, then your own beliefs lack credibility. In other words, your Big Rocks are only made of icing sugar. A little cleansing water and they just wash away.

The point is not whether anyone has anything better to offer, that is their own personal search, it is that what you are offering is only an empty offer that appears solid.

Dave

• outnfree
    outnfree

Rip,

I have read that scripture at Ezekiel over the past year, and recognized that while JWdom used to apply it to false religionists, the JW's ARE the false religionists and the application is to them and their ilk. Thank you for your empathy as we each try to figure out what's truly required of us.

DA,

I'm not comfortable with you calling me "Sister". For while I appreciate that the tone of your posts became less strident as this thread went on, I also feel that your original post sounded coercive and I have had about all I can stand of that during my "time served."

I must say that even your statement that "here...a large number...[are] blaming someone else for their problems of life" is quite judgmental:

In many cases, someone else IS to blame for their problems -- being raised by or married to [JW] alcoholics, conditional love by [JW]parents and family, various forms of abuse: sex, pedophilia, physical, verbal -- and all in a Society proclaiming that its members are happy, God-fearing, and loving!!!

Then there are others here who are blaming NO ONE ELSE for their problems, in fact, are beating themselves up for being STUPID, NAIVE, and TRUSTING for many years. They despair because the Kult still has loved ones in captivity, as it did they themselves before they slowly crawled their way out of the FOG and DECEPTION that is the product of years of conditioning.

We are all, I think, trying to put our past behind us. The reason we gather at this forum is, as someone has already said, to meet with other "veterans" who understand our former captivity, or to glean insight into the best escape route from the prisoner-of-war camp that IS the Watch Tower World.

We have remorse, we have guilt (especially if we led any others to surrender themselves to the Organization and now are helpless to free them), and we grieve the lost years and lost opportunities we surrendered as we subscribed to the idea that other human beings knew better than we ourselves what was best for us.

I realize, DA, that you believe that Jehovah, Jesus and the holy spirit know better than ourselves what is best for us. That you have comfort in holding to such a view. That, perhaps, you wish to offer that same comfort and the wisdom that you have found in the Bible to others, sincerely believing that this would be of great benefit to them. Thank you for that. It is kind and loving.

However, I agree with BugEye that choosing what to believe is a PERSONAL decision. And I stand by what I wrote above: I would not presume to have the answers for others. I have just left a high-control group and have no wish to control others.

I am learning to trust myself to decide which of society's, God's, my family's, my friend's laws, regulations, ideals, morals are truly valuable and which less so, which ones should guide my actions, and which are of little or no consequence to me.

What I, personally, would wish to finally attain is a life lived by ideals that are important to me, in no way brings harm to others, and which is full of love and happiness.

IMO, it would be nice if each and everyone of us managed that. But I refuse to tell ANYONE that they must think it would be nice, too!

Peace,

outnfree

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well said, outnfree.

My favourite CO used to use the "big rocks first" illustration. I think it makes a pretty good point, although not necessarily a religious point. I always felt like I got more spiritual encouragement from him (that CO) than any one else in my life. He served our congregation during some of the most difficult events in my life.

I really relied on prayer during that time. I prayed for relief, for wisdom. I got much relief at times, but I also got confusion. I had the wisdom to realize that things really ARE confusing, especially for a JW. I prayed some more, I cried to my freinds, "I pray for wisdom- I get confusion, questions..", I had the wisdom to see that the Bible, read honestly, leaves one with more questions than answers.

I prayed myself right out of a religion and any firm belief in God.

I'm not confused anymore. It feels good. I can focus on the big rocks.

• AlanF
    AlanF

To DevilsAdvocate:

You certainly struck a sour chord with some people with your post.

You said that the point of your original post was that "not people or
    organization should be the big rocks in our lives, but Jehvoah God,
    Jesus Christ and the holy spirit". All well and good in principle,
    but there are several practical problems with this view.

For one thing, principle and practice within the Witnesses are often
    inconsistent. Your stated "rocks" principle is not generally followed
    by the average JW, although Brother Average Jaydub will tell everyone,
    and perhaps even be convinced in his own mind, that he is following
    God first, and the JW organization second. In order to first follow
    God rather than humans, you must be convinced that you are fully able
    to obey God directly, without human intermediary. If you let a human
    intermediary tell you what God is supposed to be saying, then the
    intermediary in effect becomes your God, because whether the
    intermediary is right or wrong, you're obeying him first and God
    second. This is exactly what JW leaders teach the JW community is
    proper in God's sight, because they teach that God has appointed them
    to this very position, i.e., God commands that to get his approval,
    all proper Christians must obey his appointed representatives on earth
    today. In other words, JW leaders teach that it is actually wrong for
    you to exercise your own thinking ability to the extent of believing
    or practicing something that goes against what JW leaders believe or
    practice. Really, these men have inserted themselves between God and
    humans. The practice of disfellowshipping people who reject this
    Watchtower teaching proves my point.

I have no doubt that if Jesus returned along with 'celestial signs' as
    described in Matthew 24 and elsewhere in the NT, most JWs would not
    believe it until the Society published a Watchtower article about
    it. Do you not agree?

I have no doubt that if the Society decided to teach that "new scrolls"
    had been opened, per Revelation, which said that Jehovah had gone off
    to new things and that from now on Jesus was to be worshiped and prayed
    to, the majority of JWs would nod dreamily and comply.

Why do I make such claims? Because the Society has already convinced
    JWs to do things that they would condemn as horrendously unchristian
    in others. If I went around to your friends and family, and convinced
    them that they should avoid you, completely shun you, think of you as
    thoroughly wicked and worthy of extermination, simply because you don't
    follow my personal teachings about God, and if they followed my
    teaching, you would rightly condemn me as looney, and them as idiots
    for being convinced to commit such folly. Yet that is exactly what
    JW leaders have convinced the JW community to do with tens of thousands
    of people. Yet you probably see nothing wrong with what JW leaders do,
    simply because they've introduced such wicked teaching with smooth
    words. How is it that an entire community of believers can see such
    wickedness in others but not in themselves?

How do I know that you go along with such unchristian practice?
    Because it seems to me that you have implicitly equated leaving the
    Watchtower organization with leaving God.

For another thing, before you can properly adversely judge people who
    don't go along with your notion of God, Jesus and the holy spirit, you
    have to prove that they exist and have real effect in peoples' lives.
    It is the experience of many on this forum, including myself, that
    they have no effect at all. Prayer simply does not work. If God is
    "out there", he doesn't respond, and he doesn't do anything. Such people
    have justifiably concluded that people who claim to get responses to
    prayer are fooling themselves, since they cannot actually demonstrate
    that they have received responses. It's like a JW who needs, say, to
    find a certain kind of cloth to complete a set of curtains for a KH
    project, and she goes to a store and happens to find just barely
    enough fabric on the roll to do the job. She concludes that Jehovah
    somehow orchestrated the whole process of deciding what fabric was to
    be used, then made sure that the last person to buy that particular
    fabric didn't buy too much, then influenced the Sister to go to that
    particular store on just the right date, etc. etc. etc. Sounds pretty
    silly when you lay it out like that, doesn't it? Similarly, in most
    cases I've heard, where people claim that prayers were answered, the
    way things worked out is indistinguishable from pure chance.

Thus, your lament that some posters have left God is hollow indeed.
    As JWs, they were never with God to begin with -- partly because their
    loyalty was almost certainly to a manmade organization just like it is
    with most current JWs, and partly because no one can demonstrate that
    there is a God to be close to in the first place.

You posed a couple of questions that amount to, "If we don't stick with
    the JW organization, to what organization should we go?" There are a
    number of satisfying answers. Which one you like best will depend on
    any number of factors.

First consider an illustration: suppose you were dreamily wandering down
    a railroad track and didn't notice a train bearing down on you. If I saw
    it and wanted to save you, should I first determine some other good
    track down which you could safely wander, and then, having made such
    considered determination, present you with a variety of evidence urging
    you to consider stepping over to an alternate track? Or should I holler,
    "Get the bloody hell off that track! A train is coming!" What would you
    do if you were faced with such a thing?

Then consider that when Jesus asked his disciples if they wanted to
    leave him because of certain problems, they answered not "Where shall
    we go?" but "To whom shall we go?" The point is that they were not
    concerned about which human organization to obey, but which supernatural
    spiritual leader to obey. Jehovah's Witnesses are mostly concerned about
    obeying human leaders, since those leaders claim to speak for God, and
    JWs believe them.

Finally consider that a truly independent thinker doesn't need to be
    told every little thing to do, either with everyday living or with his
    religious life. He certainly takes in information and advice from many
    quarters, but in the final analysis it is he or she who makes all of
    the final decisions as to what is right and what is wrong. That is
    precisely what we would expect from an intelligent person. And if you
    believe that God created humans, that is precisely what we would expect
    him to expect from his intelligent creation. Anything else amounts to
    expecting people to behave as robots, and if that's the way you think
    God expects people to act, then he might as well just have created
    sophisticated tape recorders to play back on command whatever they've
    recorded. Of course, that's exactly what the Society expects.

So I would say that a BIG ROCK that is offered by many posters here is
    very simple: the mental freedom to think and decide for oneself without
    the guilt imposed by the Watchtower Society, which guilt is a result of
    its command not to think for oneself but blindly to obey JW leaders.
    Whether such freedom involves the concept of God or not is irrelevant,
    since God is not demonstrable. Many people, including me, are quite
    happy without leaning on some God.

AlanF

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

I used to have a friend who was a recovering alcoholic, and I attended a few open AA meetings with him.

Among other things, I learned that the basis of recovery in AA is "coming to believe that a Power greater than ourselves" can and will remove the burden of alcholism if one surrenders to it.

The nice thing about this "Higher Power" concept is that AA is not at all dogmatic about it. In fact, AA is 180 degrees from the Witnesses on this point and others. AA says YOU CAN CHOOSE ANYTHING YOU LIKE for your Higher Power, anything at all. Here in the Deep South, of course, most folks I heard speak referred to God or Jesus as their Higher Power. But others referred to Nature, or the Universe, or the Goddess--I even heard one agnostic guy say he picked a tree as his Higher Power, because it was bigger and stronger than him! Other people smiled at that remark, but no one laughed at him.

And from all I observed and heard, apparently the power to abstain from drinking DOES come to most folks who sincerely practice the AA program. The Higher Power apparently is not offended by being thought of as a person or thing other than the Christian God, and helps those who sincerely seek help.

Which was a lesson to me in spirituality. After I left the JW's, I went through a long period of atheism/agnosticism, and at length felt drawn to traditional Christianity, where I am happy to be. My homepage has some tips and suggested reading for anyone who is comfortable exploring that avenue.

But while I do devoutly believe Christ to be the fullest revelation of God, I am also willing to say that God can and does help and love people outside the Church, which is merely one of many tools at His disposal. "God so loved the world" tells me God does love all mankind--even those who disbelieve.

So I can respect the views of just about everyone like me who left the locked-mind prison of the Watchtower--like birds leaving the nest, we scatter in all directions. But this time, we get to choose our path and where we land.

To paraphrase Isaiah, "What does God require of you, O man, but to do justice and love kindness and walk humbly with your God, your Higher Power, your own best concept of the Ultimate Good?"

I don't think God requires us to be correct--just loving. Notice in Matthew 24, when you present your boarding pass at the Pearly Gates, the question that will be asked is not, "What religion are you" but "What have you done for your fellow men--in effect, for Me?"

There's my two cents worth.

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit