Can an inactive family member hold back a MS appointment?

by Simon Templar 10 Replies latest jw friends

  • Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

    A friend asked me if a man can be appointed a MS if he has an inactive (inactive for 15-20 years) baptized adult child living in his home. The child lives by the rules and doesn't do anything wrong (JW-wise), as I am told. I know the child (adult) and is a good kid as far as I know. I told my friend that I am out of touch with the official elder stuff to be much help. Dose anyone know? Any current elders or COs out there who can tell us what the current thinking is as of present?

    I do recall a brother being appointed a MS and then an elder who had a disfellowshipped wife living at home. The BOE and CO said that the man couldn't be held back forever because of the wife. That was many years ago though. I really don't know. I also don't know why anyone would want to be appointed, but thats another story. I am sure the rules have softened over the years because of the great need for men.

  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

    If a brother has a DFed wife, that won't stop an appointment because it's your wife. You can't divorce her or otherwise kick her out.

    It's been heavily implied in the WT that if you have adult children living at home they better be baptized and in good standing, otherwise they should be kicked out.

  • hoser

    I was denied being an ms for a couple of years because my wife's hours were "too low". Then we had a change of circuit overseer and I was appointed even though my situation never changed.

    I don't think it really matters what you do. If they like you things can slide. If they don't like you you are never good enough.

  • cantleave
    As with all things JW different rules apply to different people.
  • ttdtt

    Probably not due the the qualification of:

    1 Timothy 3:4

    4 a man presiding over his own household in a fine manner, having his children in subjection with all seriousness

  • Room 215
    Room 215
    If the guy's baptized but inactive kid presents him from getting saddled with a thankless job at the KH, he owes him a debt of thanks.
  • tim3l0rd

    An adult child shouldn't hold him back, but it really depends on the elders. By their rules he needs to be "presiding over his household in a fine manner", but adult children are not really under his control even if they still live at home.

  • StarTrekAngel
    My brother in law was appointed an MS after many many years of faithful dedication. He has a black sheep in the family so apparently he was not eligible. His son has never really been that involved in the activities. He attends meeting and he goes out in FS, but he does not want to talk to anyone or show any active participation. As soon as the kid turned 18, they made my BIL a MS. He had to put on a circus in front of the CO, showing how to conduct a family study with his family on stage. The boy was not part of it, only his wife and baptized daughter. In the representation, his wife had to raise her hand in order to make a comment at the family worship night.
  • committeechairman

    Generally speaking, the information in ks10 chapter 3 paragraph 5 is what guides this kind of decision:

    5. Though it is the brother who must measure up to the Scriptural qualifications, you should also consider the spirituality of those in his household. If his wife is baptized, is she a good example? A wife’s conduct often reflects favorably or unfavorably upon her husband. (1 Tim. 3:11) If the wife is spiritually weak, he should be doing all that he can to assist her. For instance, is he making Family Worship a priority? He should also have “believing children that [are] not under a charge of debauchery nor unruly.” (Titus 1:6; see ks10 3:15.) As a general rule, he should have well-behaved minor children who are “believing.” They should either be progressing toward dedication to God or be already baptized as Jehovah’s Witnesses. The Scriptural qualification involves having “children in subjection with all seriousness.” (1 Tim. 3:4) The conduct of adult children still living in the home also reflects upon him.—w90 9/1 p. 25 par. 7; w88 3/1 p. 24 par. 5.

    I think this indicates that if the son or daughter is a minor, then as long as they aren't engaged in immoral conduct, the brother would still qualify. However, if he has minor children that are doing nothing spiritually, he wouldn't qualify.

    Does that make sense?


  • Simon Templar
    Simon Templar
    Thanks to everyone for the information and the points. I am particularly grateful to commiteechairman for the ks book references. I will share with the person who asked me. With an adult child, it seems subjective. Well, the whole thing is subjective to start with.

Share this