How do you talk to a child that believes Jehovah/Armageddon is real

by Anony Mous 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I would start by showing her a story or two in the Bible and how it wasn't a real story just a made up one. Use Sargon the great to debunk Moses and sience and archeological evidence to debunk the flood . Ice core samples and trees older then flood as proof it never happened.

• Chook
    Chook

It's just that children grow out of believing fairytales, Armageddon story is the never ending santa story, won't bring presents for being naughty . I your loving god will kill you children for eating Easter eggs.

• millie210
    millie210

When my little ones were around the age of your daughter (5 or so) they were very afraid of monsters in the bedroom closet and also under the bed.

So I put water in a spray bottle with a drop of blue food coloring. Put a label on it that said "MONSTER SPRAY" and each night, part of the bedtime ritual was to brush teeth, a spritz of "monster spray" in the closet and under the bed and then tuck in and read a story.

I think the reason it worked is that rituals lessen night time anxiety and that the "spray" equated in their minds to "doing something about it".

So perhaps there is some soothing nighttime ritual that would make your daughter feel empowered and soothed?

The bottom line is that she is displaying age appropriate behavior in equating her free floating nighttime anxiety with some amorphous thing.

Whether she calls it demons or monsters, its what they do at that age.

There have been some great ideas given in above posts for helping her to understand real from not real. Unfortunately moms not helping but your daughter will put huge stock in what you tell her because it will be honest.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Do kids you know believe in Santa Claus?

Why?

Did their parents say that he's real?

Adults say some pretty silly things don't they!

:)

• just fine
    just fine

For my niece, I told her different people believe different things. And that I didn't believe in that kind of thing, and it was up to her if she believed in it or not. And I assured her she didn't need to worry about me dying at Armageddon I would be ok.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Awww milie210, "monster spray"!

That is so cute!

Love itπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‰

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Mine is 3yo at the moment, doesnt know about demon stories as far as i know but she is afraid of shadows at night time. What works for me is her Sully teddy from Monsters Inc. I talk to the teddy in front of her and tell it that my daughter is afraid of shadows and you'll protect her from anything scary wont you Sully? And it works.

• freddo
    freddo

Oh yeah ... Sulley ... not Scully!

• maksutov
    maksutov

My daughter also believed the nonsense at that age. If I tried to reason with her about it, she would become very upset and defensive, so I didn't push it, just said that although her mum and Gran believed those things, most people, including me, don't, and that she would have to decide for herself when she is old enough to understand, but that I would love her either way. She is now 10, and just a few months ago (after a C.O. put some pressure on her to set 'theocratic goals'), she reasoned on the fact that if she became a JW, she would have to shun me, and if she changed her mind later, her mum would have to shun her. She decided then that she no longer believed and no longer wanted to be a JW. Good luck!

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Thanks all for the responses. I do try to tell her it's not real or that mommy believes things other people don't which is the reason we started visiting other churches.

She doesn't believe in Santa because mom said it's not real (but demons are lol), I tell her I don't believe in anything but she can believe what she wants to and figure it out on her own. I've tried reasoning a little bit but she doesn't quite see the fallacies of circular logic yet.

The monster spray is a great idea though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit