How do you talk to a child that believes Jehovah/Armageddon is real

by Anony Mous 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I'm having some serious issues with my child, she is now 5 and her mother is teaching her all sorts of things regards God, Jehovah is real, in heaven, pray if you're scared, etc. The problem is the kid is scared of demons at night and also conflicted that I don't believe, she also figured out Jehovah doesn't actually help her not to be scared.

I've tried explaining that I'm there for her, watching over at night. I've tried introducing her to various churches and beliefs so she understands there is a difference in believes and she likes those churches better than Kingdom Hall. Still, how do you parents explain to someone her age that she has nothing to worry about yet not knocking her other parent or the right to believe what she wants.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

and where did your child get the idea of demons from ?

are you living with the mother ?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Don't try and use too much logic.

5 year olds only need to be reassured of your love for them, and the rest will be taken care of as they grow.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

She goes with mom and grandparents to meetings. We no longer live together and there is nothing I can do to prevent her from teaching those things short of proving JW terrorism involvement (parent extremism is perfectly fine to courts). She spends half the time with me so she also does Christmas and other fun things, she absolutely hates field circus and meetings.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

My advice: Tell her mother about her unhealthy fear of demons and Armageddon and ask her for heaven's sake, to reassure her child. Good for her to be exposed to and see that church can be enjoyable. A Sunday school teacher for the 5 year olds in the assembly you frequent could be quietly informed of her fears and used to help free her from such WTS nonsense.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Many nursery rhymes for kids have "violent" content, but they usually realize it is just "make believe" -- it makes a good story and perhaps teaches a "moral" or principle. Explain that the Armageddon Story is the same thing. It encourages people to "be good" but it is also all "make believe". Are you teaching her about Santa Claus? Maybe it's time she understands that is all "make believe" too.

• jhine
    jhine

As a member of " another church " l find it awful that JW children are taught to be scared of demons . l assume that is what you are alluding to here . lt is nice that you are introducing her to other faiths .

Jan

• freddo
    freddo

Nice light conversations ...

Daughter: " ... I'm scared the demons might get me."

You: "You silly sausage - demons are just like Scully from Monsters Inc."

Daughter: "Bbbbutt Mommy and Nanna say they're real and if I don't obey Jehovah they'll get me!"

You: (Laughing) "Your Mommy and Nanna are very good ladies but they do believe some silly stuff. I mean - can you imagine a demon wanting to live down the back of the sofa when they've got all those great castles over in Europe where they could go?"

Daughter: "Mommy said if I mock the demons they'll get me!"

You: "I've laughed at demon stories from before you were born! It's a load of old nonsense - now shall we go and get a McDonalds? - I want a demonburger with added Satan sauce! What about you?"

Treat it light light light!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

its just another form of child abuse. my kids had all this 30+ years ago from their born in mother and her lunatic rutherfordite mother. and theres not a sodding thing i could do about it.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I remember having panic when I was 12, because my mom told me she didn't think we would make it to the year 2000. I remember the horror thinking about my dad dying (not a JW), my school friends dying, and ME dying. After all, I was a little boy, who didn't always do everything perfect!

Terrible.

My 2 cents is be honest with your daughter. You can always say that mommy believes in those things, but I don't. Nothing is going to come and get you here. You are safe, you are loved, and maybe i can cuddle with you for a few minutes while you sleep so you feel safe. Tell her they are made up, and there is nothing to worry about. Mommy believes in them, but it doesn't mean you have to.

Unless of course you do believe in them, then adapt as needed. My point is just make her feel secure, and that she should trust her experience.....which I assume up to this point is devoid of evil spirits. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit