Urgent Legal Help Needed: Asylum for a Minor

by kitties_and_horses_oh_my! 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Let him know that he is not alone on this matter. If he has any worldly relatives, it might be a good idea to find out if he could stay with them until he gets on his feet.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Thanks for your additional replies.

If he has any worldly relatives, it might be a good idea to find out if he could stay with them until he gets on his feet.

The question is... can the legal parents press charges on these worldly relatives for "harboring a minor"?

• Valis
    Valis

uh could he not also get himself designated as his own guardian or as an adult? I left home when I was 17.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I believe that in the state in which he resides the parents must approve the emancipation. (Unless of course he is in an obviously dangerous situation... but in this case it would be difficult to prove...)

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    The question is... can the legal parents press charges on these worldly relatives for "harboring a minor"?

Here's a follow up question to that - How long until he turns 18?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Here's a follow up question to that - How long until he turns 18?

10 months. Which makes me think the best course would be (if he could bear it) to return home and wait until he's 18. I don't know if it would be bearable for him, though.

• Swan
    Swan

I would think that he doesn't have to prove it so much as claim it Dr. Watson. If he reports he is being abused (sexual, psychological, verbal, emotional, and /or physical), and the suicidal tendencies are an indicative symptom, then he can probably drag things out for 10 months till age 18. He might not need to file for emancipation, just claim abuse to an agency responsible for that, and they are obligated to remove him from the home until it can be investigated.

Has he talked to a school counselor in the past about this? They are required by law to report it.

Tammy

• mustang
    mustang

Good comments!!!! It's good that the emancipation option was picked up. Exploring all the options is the key.

With that in mind, try to stay away from the "voluntary commitment" business, unless it is absolutely unavoidable. This one can haunt you for the rest of your life. In some venues, you can be INvoluntarily committed by a family member once you have done the voluntary commitment.

Mustang

• amac
    amac

I have mixed feelings on this that keep me from contributing on how this boy can stay away from his parents. Sometimes I think that outsiders tend to meddle in others family business to readily these days. Unstable home? Emotional and verbal abuse? Perhaps these are true, even more so than I could imagine. Or perhaps the child was verbally reprimanded and feels they were "verbally abused." I don't know so it makes me hesitant to jump in and help keep this boy from his parents.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Personally, I think the parents would be more likely to shun him rather than press charges on their worldly relatives. He's just chosen the world over the troof.

I was damn close to moving in with my brother when I was 16. He was really considering taking me away from all the bullshit.

In my opinion, he doesn't need to be emotionally tormented any more. 10 months is a long time for someone going through something like this. I'd say take a chance with worldly relatives, if he has any. He is the victim at this time, not the relatives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit