How Many of you Remember Mr. Rogers Neighborhood?

by Sea Breeze 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• LV101
    LV101

I have to see the movie - I only watched Eddie Murphy's comedic version few times - hilarious! Another great was Flip Wilson - his religion of 'what's happenin' now'.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Here's one of Eddie Murphy's versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EhgQsMsdsU

Rub a Dub

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Never did like Mr. Rogers probably because I was older. Romper Room was my childhood show.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

No doubt that Mr. Rogers style (targeted to children) lent itself as great satire material. Notwithstanding....

The fact is that he was a genius, came from an extremely wealthy family, was highly educated and used his talents to pioneer children's education.

He was a true American original, a one-of-a-kind.... like Johnny Cash, Elvis or Thomas Edison. Unlike Sesame street and other later shows, he had strict rules against ever marketing the puppets or other items he used on the show to children. He was against the exploitation of children in any way.

In the 1950's a local station that ran an early version of his show invited kids to come down to the station. They expected a few hundred. Five thousand showed up that morning jamming up traffic for miles.

Sometimes he would stop recording a show to go down to the university to consult with child development professors about the direction of an episode. He was a meticulous and complicated man who appeared anything but..... on purpose.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

My spouse and I saw the movie last night. It was very good. Not what we expected. The first thing that came in my mind is, this is the way all JW's should treat others. He was a kind and caring man, who judged no one. He made an impact on others lives.

• LV101
    LV101

Sea Breeze/ToesUp - thank you for the info on Mr. Rogers. I never sat/watched the show but would hear his voice in background when my child/nephew/niece were watching. I'd like to watch them all now -- are they available on Netflix? I must see the movie - again, thx/appreciate.

I only knew of the comedy version w/Eddie Murphy because my husband would watch late night on weekends. Wish I'd taken the time to watch Mr. Rogers with the kiddos - what a loss.

• LV101
    LV101
    Rubdub - Thanks for the Murphy link - just watched it and it's hilarious. I think I'll watch his versions, too. I love his Christmas version. He was so good as Mister Rogers.
  • TD
    TD

My wife (And many other JW children) were forbidden to watch the show simply because Fred Rogers was a Presbyterian minister.

---Sad in so many ways. He was a better Christian than the vast majority of JWs.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"My wife (And many other JW children) were forbidden to watch the show simply because Fred Rogers was a Presbyterian minister."

The JW's could take a page from his book. If only the JW's were as kind and compassionate. It would draw more people in.

• LV101
    LV101

Mr. Roger had to qualify as a Christian compared to JWs! JWs are the antithesis of christians who love and do all they can to shelter, feed, clothe, provide medicine, etc., to their neighbor but the GB Goon Squad has determined not to be a good Samaritan - imagine that! More divine revelation and more money for them to squander and live in luxury.

It would take more than kindness and compassion for JWs to grow their base in this country. Most people are clueless about them but what little they do know keeps them running (and alive) from it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit