Are JW Celebrities Getting paid to say they are JW?

by Luther bertrand 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    I have always wondered why prince and Michael Jackson stayed in good standing for some of the stuff they released as JWS? Or how the Williams sisters could stay in sports without all the BS? After all the revelations about the Org that I have heard... I wonder if they are paid and the reason they get away with it is that they are PR strategies and really they could give a crap about the org?
  • sparky1
    sparky1

"I will consult with my 'third eye' and get back to you, Luther!"

• talesin
    talesin

No, no, no.

Prince was p-struck, and the others want to be with their families. They are not paid - their donations ensure that they do not get shunned for their obvious breaking of the rules. It's a win-win for the WTBTS.

• steve2
    steve2

Michael Jackson hardly stayed in good standing; in fact, he left and subsequently uncritically mused over Islamic teachings (in step with one of his older brothers. Of course, his mother never shunned him - matriarchs have a lot of leeway.

As for Prince, he is not a particularly "healthy" endorsement of the jw lifestyle. He played at a couple of celebrities birthday parties last year - and made no apology about it. And, as sparky shows in the telling photo in his post, Prince's latest album is pictorially "taken" with the notion of the third eye. Prince has obvious gifts in musicianship, but in terms of spirituality, he is an opportunist and not a particularly deep thinker, unless it's on topics like sexuality.

The Williams sisters are an embarrassment to the jw community, and not a source of jw pride.

• Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    steve2 I am not so sure you understand PR? They do have to exemplify JW lifestyle to promote. What they have to do is reach out to people that COULD become JWs. In a sales sense, the real question is do they attracted people who are "ready to buy" a religion. Surely they are an embarrassment to the longtime JWS or people who are really in the org and know better but the general public has no clue what JW lifestyle is! It could be a bait and switch, in my opinion, I have no proof of this, its just a possibility and if there were proof about it, lets just say I would not be as shocked as I would have been a number of years ago.
  • talesin
    talesin

"Let the women keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but let them subject themselves, just as the Law also says. And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church." (NASB, 1 Cor. 14:34-35)

• Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    talesin I don't understand the relevance of your previous post.
  • talesin
    talesin

Luther b, I did not make that post. I don't know what's up with that?

That is creepy.

Edit: Checked my PC history, and it's there. Not a breach of the DB, but maybe of my PC. I have had some problems recently.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

No of course not , these assorted celebrities may be dumping money into the Borg on their own though.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective
    They do have to exemplify JW lifestyle to promote.

Well, their latest music video seems to be promoting something completely contradictory to what they preached decades ago about staying single and giving god your best and serving where the need is great and all that.

It seems to be more a case of 'if you're rich you can do what you want' rather than a clever PR ploy of using celebrities to attract people to the religion. Scientology has beaten them to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit