"I'm Perfect, You're Doomed" . Tales from a Jehovah's Witness Upbringing

by stuckinarut2 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hey all,

We have purchased a bunch of great books recently, and one of them is from author Kyria Abrahams called "I'm Perfect, You're Doomed"

I'm only 5 chapters in at this stage, but I just have to share that this is a great read!

For those raised as witnesses through the 70's, 80's etc, you will absolutely get it!

Her writing style is refreshingly witty and fast paced.

It is a great book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8xVBWJLbw

• Life is to short 2
    Life is to short 2

I loved it also very great read, funny and sad.

LITS

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Kyria actually visited this site and held a competition amongst the posters with a copy of her book as the prize. She wanted to see which poster had the most sordid experience they witnessed as a JW. I won't bother describing what the winner related.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Sounds very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'll look for the book.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Just bought it on Kindle, great read

• schnell
    schnell

I have seen that on Scribd but haven't read it yet. It is a shame how some of the comments review it as a bit of the author feeling sorry for herself, but I think that's pretty understandable. Alright, I'll give it a shot. :)

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I think those of us that were born in can relate to the messed up attitudes we developed as children, due to being told how "privileged" we were to have the "truth" while everyone around us was part of Satan's world.....

That messes with the development of a child...

Kyria nails that very well

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I loved that book so much I read it twice! She describes the gloomy banality of the JW life with the wit and humor that only a jew could could muster.

And yes, it brought back so many memories. Until I read her book I thought the whole smurf thing was unique to my congregation.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Loved this book as well!

• schnell
    schnell

Smurf thing? What, that they're "DEMONIZED?!"

I haven't read the book, but I remember some crazy shit back in the day about the dumbest things. Smurfs, Mork and Mindy, the Legend of Zelda... Just ugh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit