Huffington Post: When Is A Religion 'Extremist'? [Food for thought!]

by AndersonsInfo 66 Replies latest jw friends

• SAHS
    SAHS
    What happens if some eedjit reads a book of a similar story, and decides it's true, and kills themselves? Should the author be convicted of murder?

I see your point; however, in the case of Jehovah's Witnesses, their organization puts an arbitrary and unreasonable fundamentalist interpretation on the Bible by the governing body through their Watch Tower publications, which they purport to be coming from God’s one-and-only mouthpiece – but the destructive and dangerous aspect is that they use coercion and blackmail (disfellowshipping) through extreme undue influence.

In your example, a fiction or conspiracy theorist author wouldn’t be responsible for people’s deaths if they were to end up killing themselves or others – unless that same author deliberately held people captive, physically or even mentally, and used brain washing techniques based on fear and dishonest manipulation. Well, that would be another thing. Just think of the famous serial killer Charles Manson. He didn’t need to bother killing anyone himself – he was able to get his followers to do that himself!

• Simon
    Simon
    I see your point; however, in the case of Jehovah's Witnesses, their organization puts an arbitrary and unreasonable fundamentalist interpretation on the Bible by

... the rest is irrelevant, they are just the authors who publish their ideas, they do not make the choices - people do that themselves.

unless that same author deliberately held people captive, physically or even mentally, and used brain washing techniques based on fear and dishonest manipulation
    And again, they don't hold people captive, certainly not physically - anyone can leave, anytime. In fact it takes more effort to stay than it does to go because leaving means just not "going" anymore. Bonus: you also save gas.
    Just think of the famous serial killer Charles Manson. He didn’t need to bother killing anyone himself – he was able to get his followers to do that himself!

Charles Manson is the most extreme of extreme cases where you could prosecute someone but the WTS is generally no where near comparable when it comes to the amount of control.

I think it's a real stretch to claim that the GB have Manson-like control over people.

Where would this end up? Think of how many other groups of people would end up being caught in the net of "you influenced them therefore you caused their actions".

I am sure there are a ton of people who feel duped and regret for the choices they made. They are keen to pass the blame on to the GB / WTS instead. I get it. But it just doesn't work. People would be far better owning their life choices, the good and the bad (we all have both) and make the best of the life you have now. Dreaming of revenge and hoping blame will land at the WTS feet is simply wishing your life away.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

People are responsible for their own choices, period.

• Chook
    Chook

When Muslim extremists proform "honour " killings of their daughters for dating outsiders it has correlations to JWs symbolically cutting off or disfellowshipping their daughters who marry in another church. Extremist JWs would gladly slaughter their daughter for worshipping Baal, if they believed they were pleasing Jah.

• Simon
    Simon

Except ... they don't for real compared to some Muslims who do it for real - and they are not the ones that are often labelled "extremists" as in "terrorists", they are often thought of as "moderate" because hey "it's just their culture and all cultures are equal" (barf).

Can anyone spot the difference yet?

Would you rather be symbolically executed or executed?

"Oh no, you symbolically stabbed me ... I'm ... dying!"

Oh look, I'm OK.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

JWs are bad, true. I have felt that on my own body. But it cannot be compared to Islam. The natural state of Islam is murder, nothing compares to that.

• barry
    barry

The Imam of the largest Mosque in Saudi Arabia has said ISIS has the same beliefs as he does and the Egyptian Islamic schools have said ISIS has committed some atrocities but they are not Apostates.

Just look at the horrific punishments carried out in Saudi Arabia and compare that with what ISIS does you would find not much difference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit