I am a Living Time Machine

by TerryWalstrom 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Finkelstein... my grandparents had a wringer washer very similar to that.

• eva luna
    eva luna

I enjoyed reading your post Terry. All the comment too.

So much has changed .

Cameras without film, I'm still rebelling on that one.

A good black Royal or Carona typewriter.

I loved the sound of my mom tap tap tapping out my dads talks late at night. There's a shop in Bazerkley CA were they sell and repair them.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

My father very rarely spoke of his youth but once he mentioned that he could vaguely remember being a very young child riding in a stage coach!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobb_and_Co

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

In some ways I envy you.

I wouldn't want to be 70 years old, but I think I would have loved to have been young when you were young. The fact is I feel totally alienated from my own generation (Gen X); I always have. Almost everyone I know in my own age bracket is addicted to drugs and functionally illiterate.

I can do more than imagine how much it sucks to be seventy years old. I grew up around my grandpa and his siblings so I know what old age is like. But even so, you should feel proud to be a member of your generation, for it is, so far, the most privileged generation in history; and not just in terms of prosperity and overall happiness, but in what you were able to see happening right before your eyes (like the Apollo moon landing).

• sparky1
    sparky1

Riding through the middle of town with my Grandfather, in his 1959 Chrysler Windsor, I would stand up in the front seat beside him clutching a round Quaker Oats container full of Cocoa-Puffs! Terry, you've opened up the way for lots of good memories to come flooding forth.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

GREAT COMMENTS--thanks!

I was lucky enough to grow up in a household with a Great grandmother, grandmother and grandfather and my mom.

I spent a lot of time with my Great grandmother and "interviewed" her about her early life. I was very curious, even way back then in the early 50's.

Great granny left Tennessee as a young woman riding in a stagecoach which was chased by "Indians" as it passed through Oklahoma. Toilets were a hole in the ground. Women had so many skirts and petticoats it took forever for a rest stop and it irritated the men considerably.

My Great granny's side of the house was wired for DIRECT CURRENT which never caught on. It was rewired when alternating current won out!

She had an "ICE BOX" instead of a refrigerator. An "ICE MAN" would come by every day with a large block of ice which he held on his back with large tongs. The man just walked in the front screen door, marched through the house and inserted the ice inside the Ice Box in the kitchen and emptied the drip water pan underneath!

Great granny, when she gave birth to my Grandfather (sounds weird to say it like that) he was so small she'd place him in a shoebox with holes in it and go horseback riding!

His crib was in on of the drawers in the "Chester drawers" next to her bed (which was a large canopy bed). I was in my twenties before I realized she was saying "Chest of drawers".

My Great granny was a widower. Her husband had been a deputy Sheriff in Fort Worth, shot in the back and killed in the line of duty.
    He was a member of a fraternal organization, THE ODD FELLOWS.

Once every year, the ODD FELLOWS would deliver a gigantic basket of goodies
    to her and I'd eat the good stuff like dates and pecans and cookies.
    Fraternal organizations were very popular.

Incidentally, it was the Ice Man who found my Great granny dead in her bed.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Terry what a great story you told. At 62 I remember most of what you said. Where I lived we did not have a dial phone until 1963. What we had for a phone was a wooden box with a crank on the side that hanged on the wall. Plus when we did get a dial phone we was on a party line. Our ring was two shorts and one long. I love telling that story to young today ones with cell phones. They look at me like I am a caveman. LOL. Still Totally ADD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My first cell phone mid 1980's the service cost over $100 a month and the calls would constantly break up.

but it was cool to have.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

time is weird

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Before TV Sitting around the valve radio What's that up in the sky? Is it a bird is it a plane NO IT'S ??????????

i'll cive you a hint He posed as a mild mannered reporter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit