Coming to a Kingdom Hall near you

by FatFreek 2005 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• blondie
    blondie

Up until the 1950's, jws met in private homes and rented halls (mostly for the public). It won't be much different if all the khs disappear. My mother was of that generation. The first KH here was built about 1955,the second one around 1958, the third in the early 60's, the fourth and fifth in the late 60's and early 70's, the 6th and 7th in the early 80's. None since then. One of the ones in the early 80's was sold and they joined forces with 2 other congregations, 3 in the same KH. c

My mother said the reason few KHs were built prior to 1950 was the close expectation of Armageddon and the lack of brothers in construction. 3 contractors in this area of brothers made KH building pre-RBC easier than in other areas. They were sent to other areas to coordinate projects. Knorr was revving up for an international preaching work since the end did not come during WW2 and thought it was a sign. More members, more KHs, then the 1966-1975 the end is near again.

I really believe that slowly the change in collecting monies from the rank and file in 1990 for literature/magazines, the food program at assemblies/conventions to evade the IRS in the US, has backfired on the WTS....cash flow has dried up in a way they did not anticipate. I predicted this cash flow dilemma and have been watching for the last 25 years. I wonder what Warwick will bring, sale of Wallkill and Patterson?

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    Blondie: I really believe that slowly the change in collecting monies from the rank and file in 1990 for literature/magazines, the food program at assemblies/conventions to evade the IRS in the US, has backfired on the WTS....cash flow has dried up in a way they did not anticipate.

That, and we mustn't forget litigation expense, multi-million dollar settlements toward sexual abuse case because of WTS policies.

With Watchtower, it's now all about image -- facial hair (which may be changing) standards, frowned upon tight fitting trousers on men -- dictated dress code while at assemblies even when away from the convention center, dress code when visiting Bethel, etc., etc.

As to Kingdom Halls I remember the mid 50s when out hall was just that -- a 2nd floor rectangular room above an auto insurance office that was on the 1st floor. My boy scout troop (before I got baptized) had better looking accommodations.

Nowadays and for many years, Kingdom Halls have been built (thanks to funding from the local flocks) on main thoroughfares, the upscale design normally selected from 3 different plans. Yes, the designs show windows in them but I suspect the elders can opt out on them.

Len

• Chook
    Chook

They say they don't do collections or tithe at hall but wait to its all electronic money and they can sign everyone up for a direct debit withdrawal straight to Warwick then you see big Tony add a few pounds. Or course big Tony it will be giving it straight to God to which Tony is his right hand man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit