Has anyone given up love for the organization?

by Victorian sky 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Hi all, just wondering how many have given up the man or woman they love for the borg? I know it's a painful subject for some. I gave up my first love when I was studying. Was told I couldn't get bapitzed unless I did and we weren't even sleeping together! I was a teenager at the time, so who's to say it would have worked out anyway but I do regret hurting him over religious differences. I was told by my study conductor that loyalty to Jehovah meant I had to cut off all ties with him. We were unevenly yoked and marry only in the lord and so forth. I was told by an elder to throw away any evidence of the relationship! I was young so I did. Including his pictures and love letters. Then I was praised for months from the platform for my obedience and faithfulness even though I had a broken heart at the time. I've since gotten over it but I was wondering how many did the same thing and how do you feel about your decision today?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

When I became a JW I basically threw everyone away. I was engaged and broke my engagement because she was not interested in becoming a JW. I was also held up as some kind of example for doing it, but I was quite depressed at the time. Looking back, I feel like a total a$$hole about it now.

Walter

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I was madly in love with my girfriend during my senior year in high school. Right after graduation, I got baptized as a JW, and because she was not interested in joining a cult, I stopped seeing her. Eventually, I married a JW woman.

More eventually, I stopped believing what the JW's taught, and even more eventually, my JW (now ex-)wife divorced me (based upon her own adultery) because I wouldn't go back to the Kingdom Hall. After that, I contacted my old girl friend from high school through classmates.com, found she had been widowed a few years earlier, and now she's my wife.

A happy ending, indeed.

• onacruse
    onacruse

((Neon & wifey))

Wow, what a wonderful ending (or, perhaps rather, beginning) to the story!

There is indeed a big beautiful life out there, if only we reach out and grab for it.

As for me, the loves I've lost have both been because I left the org, and so they left me.

And then there is Kate.

Craig

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Wow neon, that's quite a story!

It sounds like it could the next romantic comedy starring Ashton K & Britney Murphy.

With a little 'Freddy vs. Jason' thrown in there for when you were part of the borganization ;P

Winston.

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* I thought this thread was about love for the borganization..*LOL* I was gonna say um yeah a long time ago...*LOL* Good topic anyway.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    With a little 'Freddy vs. Jason' thrown in there for when you were part of the borganization ;P

Yeah, that's a reasonably accurate description of my first marriage...

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Not quite as advanced as your stories, but here goes.

I was 14 at the time. I met the first girl that I really liked. The first girl that really liked me. I was completely interested in her, but I was torn between her and the org. I was thinking to bring her into the org with me. I couldn't date her. My parents wouldn't allow it, and they had a tight grip on my freedom. Hence, I was only able to communicate with her by phone. My mother asked me who I was talking to, and I told her it was a friend (I can't remember who's name I used). When my mom had picked up the phone, she heard me talking to a girl. Mom told me right on the phone "When you lie to me, you lie to Jehovah".

Eventually, the girl got tired of waiting for me to make a move, and moved on to someone else. I was crushed.

But that shit's all over now.

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Wow Neon, that's amazing! So glad you two found each other again. My first love is happily married so ah well but it was great to hear of at least one happy ending! - Victorian Sky

• Odrade
    Odrade

hmmm, let's see. My parents broke up my first boyfriend and me because we were "too young." I was 19, he was 18. They broke up my second relationship by interrogating the guy. It's okay, he wasn't worth it anyways. My self-righteous good girl attitude following the spirit and letter of the JW rules was the downfall of my next relationship. The next bf (fiance) after that was driven away because of the horrific attitude my parents displayed because 8 years previously my dad had sat on his JC so he wasn't good enough. Fiance couldn't take the disapproval and hostility any longer. Can you say "crash and burn?"

The next two or three relationships crashed and burned because they were "worldly" and I was planning to "go back." Then I met my husband. We got engaged, and damned if my parents didn't try to break us up practically on the eve of our wedding. Their reason: they didn't think he could be a "good spiritual head." Thank gog they were right. Married him anyways. We are happy, and he helped me open my eyes.

Any questions? LOL!

Odrade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit