Publisher ID - I Saw It In Person & It Was Terrifying!

by thedepressedsoul 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I'd like to start off this post by saying, we all know that the WT loves control. It's clear by their history, their WT's, the Elder arrangement and so on. However, after witnessing and using the Publish ID program in person, it takes this need for control to a whole new level & it was scary.

If you've ever seen Builder Assist (the website program used for LDC volunteers) or the Metro program, it actually looks pretty similar to that. A basic web looking app with a search bar, information, login and so on. Here's what's interesting.

More people have access to it than I thought. Specific people at Bethel have access, certain remote bethelites and people not even at Bethel. Higher up LDC members, Assembly Hall Overseers, CO's etc... There is a lot, and I mean a lot of information at their finger tips.

They can't login directly or use the program on their remote computer. They have to first login to a computer running on a server. Basically, it's a older version of Windows OS running on a server. Each one is assigned one of these virtual computers. It's unclear if their server is running the OS on Microsofts servers or on Bethels servers. That's the first step. They have to login to their virtual, assigned computer. From there, they can bring up the Publish ID program. It runs like a regular Windows program, meaning it's not a web browsers program. From there though, it looks like a web program running inside of this Windows programs.

Here's where it gets scary though.

The individual showing me this said think of any name or a brother or sister that you know. I spit out a random name of Joe Publisher who attends 1 Sunday meeting per month. They type their name in. To my disbelief his name pops up... He was in this database. So they click on the name. A card style view shows up and it displays their address, phone number, congregation, date of baptism, if there was any congregation privileges, male or female. There was even a photo ID spot were if they had a picture on file it would be displayed.

It gets even crazier. There's a "Documents" section under this person name. In that section is displays any application they submitted, and "incidents" that happened with this person, correspondences, if or why they were removed as a elder or MS. Literally a full record of just this one person was a few clicks away from the individual showing me this program.

I spit out more names. Every name, came up with the exact same information. This is a huge database! I even gave my own name and saw all of my information that the branch had on me. If you were baptized & I'd even go as far to say a unbaptized publisher, you are in this database.

I gave a generic last name and it displayed "Showing 200 results of 3,000". You can then do a more refined search. Add in the state, congregation, phone number and you will find the exact person you want.

I asked the person showing me if there were different levels of access you could be granted. I know on Builder Assist you can be granted different access levels which displays more information, lets you access parts others can't, make changes and so on. They said they didn't know. However, their access level already displayed a ton of information on each person. I assume there are different levels that display even more.

I left very creeped out by how much information was in this database. How much info there was on me, my friends, family and how easy it was for them to access this information.

They always talk about protecting our brothers and sisters from the government in the time of the end. If 1 official got access to this info they'd have every piece of info on every witness and could go right to their house since their address is in this database. It makes no sense!

I think the scariest part was realizing I am forever in this database. It doesn't matter if I leave, I will still be part of their database.

I don't see how something like this is even legal without providing consent. Any person I could think of, we typed their name in and there they were. There was not one time that we couldn't find the person who I named.

• blondie
    blondie

Do people from the UK show up on this or other countries with data protection laws? Do they get this info direct from the person or are the elders entering the info they have on the people in their congregation, current or inactive, df'd, da'd, and faders.

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

Good question. I'm not in the UK and didn't know anyone from there to lookup. I was wondering the same thing after though.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Very interesting, thanks. I’m not entirely surprised, because all the information you mention is in the publisher file at the local congregation. Did you open any items of “extra information” on deletions or discipline, or so on? I gather you are in America? I assume that in Europe a person can request to be removed from the database and presumably they would comply with that request under the law.

In the UK publishers were asked to sign a release (last year?) that allows the organisation to collect and share this sort of information. Predictably, almost every JW signed it. I know one sister who refused to sign it but she’s an oddball. They apparently don’t collect her reports any more, but she’s still considered a sister.

I agree this technology makes no sense whatever for an organisation that professes to believe the government is going to crack down on them at any minute. It makes you wonder if they really believe what they preach, at least those directly involved in creating this database. Or maybe they are simply focussed on the task and wowed by the technology that they don’t consider the implications. I’m sure someone at some level of the organisation has raised the possibility that governments could use the information to persecute JWs, and the GB, or somebody, has made the decision to go ahead anyway.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

The firewall between society and joe publisher is not that secure. Only Gerrit Losch doesn't answer to Watchtower.

G.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I stopped attending COMPLETELY n 1983. I wonder if they have anything on me.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I DAd in 1977 and have had seven address changes since then till now and I wonder whether they've been tracking all that.

• tiki
    tiki

But why? For what reason are they maintaining such a massive database?

• Theonlyoneleft
    Theonlyoneleft

Wow this is scary. I presume they need to control EVERYTHING.

they warn people about the government antics but in the end...they are not that different.

At least with the worldly governments they do give a choice of leadership... with the Witnesses whoever IN has to follow their self appointed righteous clowns.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Would be interested to know if the GB and other higher-ups appear on the database or are exempt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit