What was your worst/best experience in field service?

by obiwan 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Hey Craig,

Ya know, it was a lifetime of questioning, and even resentment towards the organization that led to that day self awareness, in the field. Being a Jehovah's Witness, just wasn't 'me'. Although I was raised a JW and left (for a couple of years) and then returned to really give it my all, in the end, I was just too independent of a spirit to be continually told what to do, what to say, what to believe, how to act, etc., to be able to continue on as a JW. What I guess I mean to say here is, that it was 'easier' for me to leave than to stay because of my personal make up. Its really not something I can take credit for. Wasn't really that much of a struggle. I have more much respect for those who agonize over their decsion to leave and then act on it (perhaps like you).

I do remember the night I finally decided that I could no longer be a JW. I was at the K. Hall, sitting there next to my then wife during the meeting, and I just felt this feeling like I didn't belong. Kinda Twilight Zone-ish of a feeling. I got up, went to the bathroom, splashed some water on my face. I looked up into the mirror and said these words back to myself, " I don't belong here. This is not who I am. I'm going home right now, and I'm never coming back.". I walked over to my wife and told her I would see her at home. I left right then and I never set foot in another K. Hall. I was finished with it, all of it. The ride got a little bumpy from there (as you might imagine), but to continue to be a JW at that point wasn't even an option. I just went with. Since then, I've learned to listen to my 'gut' more willingly. It has saved me, many many times . . .

Steve

• smack
    smack

welcome Steve

Steve

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It was my mates turn, he knocked.

No Answer.

Noise inside, so he knocked again.

From what we had thought was a tin shed behind us came the sound of the most horrendous, watery, windy, diarrhea we had ever heard.

"I don't think there is anyone home." said my mate quite loudly, and we quickly headed for the street. The rest of the day was stuffed. We couldn't get past a letterbox without bursting into raucous laughter.

• greven
    greven

I was in the field service with my real sister as partner. it was my turn and we were working in a flat (multistory building if you like). Anyway, loud music greeted us as we approached the door. I rang the doorbell, already turning to leave when an absolute dream of a girl opens the door and looks at me questioningly. I was flabergasted! I shyly offered her the mags but she said in a friendly tone that she was not interested. The door closes and while I am deflating i hear thru the door another gal ask who it was, to which the girl replied "oh just one of them jehovah's, kind of a hunk though"...

That was the time I decided I did not belong to be doing this and made it my last door ever! At times I wonder going there again and...introduce me properly [;)]

Greven of the lost-chances-hurt-the-most-class

• joelbear
    joelbear

Well I've had numerous bad experiences and some good ones. I've had a gun pulled on me twice, threatened with violence a number of times, cornered by vicious dogs and once by a vicious pig, run into wacky people from every religious background. But the worst experience in service for me was my own doing. I had two car groups working in a territory and we had just gotten to the territory when one of the little girls said she had to go to the bathroom. I was desperate to get my time started and was worried about how I could leave the car groups out in service. During my conundrum the little girl lost control and peed herself and started crying. I was so ashamed of myself for not thinking of her, instead thinking of myself and getting my time in. I will always be ashamed of that.

• unique1
    unique1

Best experience: We pulled into a driveway and a gentleman came out to greet us. Brought some beers along with him and offered one to each of us in the car. We declined since not only were we in a car, we were all underage (not that being underage ever stopped us before mind you but were doing the lords work and didn't want to bring reproach). My friend started offering the magazines and the gentleman, drunk, said he didn't believe in god since Nam. We had a brief discuss about god. Then he proceeded to tell us stories about Vietnam which led some how to frying up a mess of dog for dinner and how tasty it was. He finished by inviting us by sometime when we weren't preaching about god for some beer and fried dog. It was the most bizarre discussion I have ever had with anyone. It was the topic of conversation for the rest of the day. CLASSIC!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit