Confession.

by Englishman 50 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Wow. I am surprised. I would want to know. Disease is involved. . another girl's feelings. . .possible pregnancy. . .other's finding out. . humiliation.

But I guess I'm just weird.

I also think murderers should confess and child molesters; but I suppose if they resolve to never do it again, that's enough for you.

Murder and child molestation are not in the same category as cheating on your spouse or not going to the meetings 5 times a week. What a silly statement. Especially from you.

Confession of daily sins in life is what we were talking about. Not murder and child molestation. If you want to go that direction, fine. I am not talking about that. I am talking about daily transgression against others.

As for my personal feelings and my *confession* to you and this board on how I feel on something like a cheating spouse....your response is enough to give me pause in the future.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Teeny-

In E-man's original post, he asked what confession meant. I thought he meant confessing in general, not confessing to the elders or to a priest. I am trying to say that confession IN GENERAL is good. Do you get what I'm saying? IN GENERAL, not religous only. I said earlier that religous confession seems unnecessary, but confession to family and/or friends or law enforcement is.

I am distinguishing between religous and other confession; apparently no one else is, so I will bow out of this discussion.

Oh and as for:

As for my personal feelings and my *confession* to you and this board on how I feel on something like a cheating spouse....your response is enough to give me pause in the future.
    That's fine. If one statement I've made causes you to judge me negatively or give you pause even though we've always had a mutual respect, then fine. I think we were looking at the word "confess" from two deifferent angles and miscommunicated. I'm sorry if I've offended you.
  • teenyuck
    teenyuck
    The "penance" given by the priest isn't punishment, nor a magical wand that expiates the offense by the deed. The penance is about changing our hearts. Good priests generally give challenging penance that affects our hearts.

As a child, I once stole something...I wasn't given the penance of "rubbing my rosary x number of times" rather, I had to PERSONALLY return the item and apologize

Finally, the Catholic Church has never said ANY individual (human) is in hell or going to hell. We reserve that judgement to God.

That makes more sense. Especially the returning the item and apologizing.

My whole point is:

If you live a decent life, why do you need to go to confession? Besides literally stepping on someone's toes, why would someone do that? (Hopefully if you have stepped on someone's toe, you immediately apologized and were forgiven by them)

Why not adopt my system or Scully's? I am all for talking things out with friends, family etc. I think that is much healthier than telling a virtual stranger (priest, elder) you *sinned*.

And who decides what needs to be confessed? How do you know when you have crossed the line?

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

SP, I stepped on your toes, I am sorry. I read more into it than was there.

Forgive me?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

T-

Confess your sins, my child. . .

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Bless me Father, er, Mother, for I have Sinned...it has been 19 years since my last Memorial....

I feel so Freaking Free!! Yeah. Oh, sorry, Father, er, Mother, I just am so happy not to be going to meetings and out in service any more...how can that be bad? How can Jehovah be unhappy with me? Please, Father, er, Mother, tell me, will I make it to the new system?!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

T-

Say ten Hail 'Hovah's and you shall be forgiven.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Ah, screw it. I don't want to be in the new system anyway.....Living like the guy in Castaway.....picking berries and eating wild ****** things.

I'd rather party now, drink while I can and see the world....

• Englishman
    Englishman

Stinky,

I think that infidelity is in a league all on it's own. If someone is unfaithful to a loyal partner, does the aggrieved partner have to be told as he/she is the one who has been betrayed, and is therefore the one from whom forgiveness should be sought?

Or should the unfaithful partner carry the weight of guilt so as the betrayed one's feelings are spared?

Incidentally, I went through all this in a previous relationship with someone who was unfaithful and got very pissy that the elders had to be involved as my partner was still a JW even though I was not. To this day I wonder if I would have been better off not knowing. On the other hand, she could never have carried the "burden of guilt".

So one person's confessional release could be the innocent parties burden, no?

Englishman.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yeru!!! hate to disagree with you but I must. In 1946 the Catholice Church was teaching all Protestants were going to hell. Not by just ONE priest in their teachings...I WAS There when that teaching was being taught.I was a Protestant my Hubby was a Catholic...I had already got married in the Catholic Church( they said we would not really be married if I didnt -I was pregnant so had to in those days) The preist came to bless my kids -otherwise they would NOT go to heaven-I allowed it for my husbands sake- my in-laws took my babies to be chrisiten ( without my knowledge) into the Catholic church -otherwise they would go to hell. Oh yes I have suffered alot from the catholic teaching as well as the JW teaching. Thats why I agree religion IS the opium of the people. Relationship with God is freedom from rules of men......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit