Overlapping gen teaching- Help?

by raven 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• raven
    raven

Hi friends,

Can someone please help explain to me the overlapping generations teaching? I have not been able to grasp this one or what it even applies to? I have read on the forum that many say this is what lead them to realize the TTATT..

I am trying to fade but also trying to research and learn as much as I can to help me solidify that the org is a lie.

Thank you!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Some of the best stuff can be found at jwfacts

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/generation.php

Don't worry if you don't understand it better after reading. Nobody really understands how this nonsense explanation can actually be applied without making the Watchtower doctrine a laughing stock.

This video explains that actually, the Governing Body just wants the members to cease thinking about how doctrines are arrived at. They do not allow members to question, and this doctrine tests that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U30VcdGyyw

• freddo
    freddo

No-one can explain the Overlapping Generation teaching scripturally. it is the Emperor's new clothes ...

Basically JW's said (for about 45 years up until 1995) that the generation that saw 1914 would not pass away before Armageddy. Then there were a coupla changes and then since 2010 it's been "One generation Two groups."

So now if you were anointed in 1914 or before you are part of the first group. The second group overlaps and the second group must have been anointed before the last of the first group died.

David Splane "ex-Splanes" it by using Frederick Franz as an example of the first group because he was baptised in 1914 and died in 1992. So if you are anointed before about 1992 (as in started glugging the vino) you are in the second group.

Of course if you were a wine glugger after about 1992 then you are in a third group (tho they didn't say that!).

Of course there is no scripture or set of scriptures on heaven and earth that supports this utter nonsense which obviously came along because the crap they spout has run out of time.

So jw's deride Christendom for it's triune 3 in 1 trinity God but has its own triune trinity 3 in 1 generation ...

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Sadly they miss the point that Jesus was talking TO that generation. It doesn't overlap and there is no second fulfillment.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Ask one of your elders to explain it. Then ask him to explain it using the Bible.

I bet few of them will be able to the former off the top of their head. As for the latter, it's not possible.

• raven
    raven

So confusing.. What is the point of having this teaching then? If all of those who partake are going to heaven anyways?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The point is that Watchtower gives a second fulfillment of the scriptures to arrive at the time when "this system of things ends" and since they are a doomsday cult, they only retain members if they set a doomsday.

All other doomsday dates have come and gone, and they need a new one without admitting they were wrong about the previous ones.

"Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened." So they change what "this generation" means. They may, in the future, change what "not pass away" means or even redefine whether those things "happened."

• sir82
    sir82

Can someone please help explain to me the overlapping generations teaching? I have not been able to grasp this one or what it even applies to?

No one can. It is like trying to explain why a square has 5 corners or what color a rose smells like.

It is simultaneously self-contradictory and nonsensical.

• oppostate
    oppostate
    What is the point of having this teaching then? If all of those who partake are going to heaven anyways?

Right, OTWO. The point is, too, that they want to keep the 1914 year as the date when Jesus started ruling in Heaven, and then 1919 chose the Faithful and "Discrete" Slave. The overlapping generation allows them to keep teaching they have authority over the flock as the one and only channel to God--teaching as they have for a century that Armageddon is coming within a generation.

Take away the overlapping generation teaching and the immediacy of Armageddon coming (within a generation of 1914) falls apart and it becomes clear their doctrine is just a bunch of crap.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

First you have to realize where this lie started. Russel wrote in his book Time at hand that the end and Armageddon would take place in 1914. When that didn't happen the new leader Rutherford said that the end did come Jesus came invisibley and the gentile times were over. As time has passed they change the meaning of things and change things around to hide the fact that everything they said was wrong.

They could not admit that when he Rutherford said in 1917 that this generation would not pass away was wrong so they had to again change it by saying new light and the generation is an overlapping thing. There is no place in the bible that supports this idea. The bible makes it clear in several places that a generation is roughly 40 years. Mathew chapter 1 lists generations etc.

The whole doctrine by design is to continue to mislead the ignorant jws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit