WARNING! NEW VIRUS

by Nathan Natas 25 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

Good lord, I just got another security alert. Looks like a mutated version of the Lovsan/Blaster:

WARNING:W32.Welchia.Worm
    Threat level: Category 4, Severe (scale of 1-5)

Type:

Worm
    Virus Definitions:August 18, 2003 or later (via LiveUpdate)

What is W32.Welchia.Worm and how does it affect me? W32.Welchia.Worm is a worm that exploits multiple vulnerabilities:

• Exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026) using TCP port 135. The worm specifically targets Windows XP machines using this exploit.
    • Exploits the WebDav vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-007) using TCP port 80. The worm specifically targets machines running Microsoft IIS 5.0 using this exploit.

The worm attempts to download the DCOM RPC patch from Microsoft's Windows Update Web site, install it, and then reboot the computer.

The worm checks for active machines to infect by sending an ICMP echo request, or PING, which will result in increased ICMP traffic.

To read more about the W32.Welchia.Worm, please click here.

What action can I take from here? Symantec Security Response posted virus definitions to protect against this threat on August 18, 2003 (via LiveUpdate). All users of Norton AntiVirus who do not have up-to-date virus protection should immediately run LiveUpdate for protection from W32.Welchia.Worm.

Virus definitions are available via the LiveUpdate feature in the Norton AntiVirus product or the Symantec Security Response Web site.

Symantec Security Response encourages all Norton AntiVirus users to regularly download virus definitions in order to protect against future threats. For more information on how to run LiveUpdate, please click here.

UPGRADE CUSTOMERS - If you have an older version of Norton AntiVirus and would like to upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2003, please click here.

NEW CUSTOMERS - If you would like to purchase Norton AntiVirus 2003, please click here.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

(sitting here all safe and sound with my Mac)

• onacruse
    onacruse

KG, so tell a non-techie like me why it is that Mac's don't have probs with viruses/worms, etc?

Or do they, just not as much?

Craig (curious minds want to know )

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Ona, I know I'm not KG but I'll answer your question.

Windows is targeted because it simply has the largest user base... by a huge margin. There is no technical reason a virus could not be written for a Mac, for Linux, etc.

• Simon
    Simon

I suggest everyone who doesn't have anti-virus installed should at the very least, go to one of the free virsus scanning sites (McAffe, Symantec and Trend all offer these)

Failing that, we'll all come tound to your house and take your hard drive away !

• Brandy
    Brandy

This is scary. I do not know why anyone would do this to people. GRRRRRRRRRRR

brandy

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Goddamnit I must have gotten 40 e-mails with that attachement yesterday!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If anyone needs a virus scanner, just PM me.

• toddy
    toddy

I must be lucky!

I read all the time about all these Viruses yet i have never had one....(touch wood)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup, I just discovered three emails with this little bug in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit