JW and Christianity..

by cutenconfuzed422 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cutenconfuzed422
    cutenconfuzed422

Thank you all so much. This has helped more than you know. The reason I was asking for this stuff is because my best friend was saved at my church but before that she was going to a JW bible study, and she started going again, and she says that she's confused and feels like she's stuck between the two religions because at my church she can feel the presence of God and everything, but at bible study she feels as if she's getting closer to God and learning more. And I am very sure she doesn't know of all of these rules and stuff, I found so many things that they do not allow you to do that I know she will just have a fit over. But anywayz, if anyone has anymore info I'd love to hear it. I was also asking this so I could learn more about it.

~Meg~

• shotgun
    shotgun

Hi Meg welcome to the site.

With JW's you always need to remember they have the truth..they call it the present truth. This is because what was once taught and enforced as truth is often changed to a new understanding which is often totally opposite from the previous understanding and then sometimes changed back after several years. As a loyal JW you must accept what ever the present truth is even if you do not understand or believe it personally.

I hope your writing an article for the National Enquirer or something it has more truth in it than many of the Watchtower publications.

If you are interested in a particular topic type it into the search window of this forum and you should find everything you need to know.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Meg, you can offer something the WT can't beat, and that is genuine love and concern. Continue to be a good friend, don't cut her off. My daughter's best friend in High School was studying with the Witnesses, and she successfully weaned the girl from the society, simply by being a good friend. You might enjoy this link,

http://www.watchtowernews.org/howto/

It sounds like your friend enjoys studying. Why don't the two of you visit a bible book store and pick up a bible study for youth? There are dozens of them, and they are way more fun than the WT studies.

• shotgun
    shotgun

BTW Meg make sure your friend reads the bible context around all the scriptures and make sure she asks for a bible study without Watchtower literature being used as a study aid...If they say thats not the proper way to study the bible share this with them from thier own publications.

*** w54 8/15 p. 510 Questions from Readers ***

To determine the Scripturalness of a teaching we must go to the Bible and calmly weigh all the texts bearing on the point under consideration. The ideal place to do this is in a home, with the two or few involved sitting at a table with open Bibles, dispassionately considering the evidence to “make sure of all things; hold fast to what is right.” (1 Thess. 5:21, NW) If a person is in doubt as to a doctrine, he can have a minister from a religion that believes it come to his home and discuss it. The next evening he can have a minister from a group that says it is false. Or he may even wish to have a minister from each group there the same evening and ask questions and hear the discussion. Thus the truth will be more likely to get calm and careful attention, as also will the falsehood. Sincere ones honestly searching for the truth will see the advantage of this method, whereas those interested more in exciting controversy and grabbing publicity will clamor for the emotional, oratorical debate.

*** w55 2/15 p. 115 Only One Right Religion ***

“ONE FAITH”

10 There are many different religions teaching many conflicting doctrines. Obviously not all of them are right. Only doctrine supported by God’s Word is true and harmonious. If a religion’s teachings are not built on Christ’s words they will collapse; if its reasonings are in opposition to God they will be overturned; if its tenets are a mixture of true and false the whole is spoiled.

*** w56 12/15 p. 741 What Would Jesus Say? ***

TURNED ASIDE TO FALSE STORIES

Now what would Jesus say about Christendom’s religions’ taking part in a hoax and leading people to believe he was born on December 25? He would point to the prophecy made by one of his apostles: “There will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled, and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.”—2 Tim. 4:3, 4, NW.

*** w56 11/1 p. 667 Turn to the New World Society ***

ATTITUDE TOWARD DISFELLOWSHIPMENT

16 The offenses that make disfellowshiping necessary include those which brought punishment at the time of the early Christian congregation. Such offenses include persistence in lying, stealing, dishonest practices in business, sexual offenses, teaching of false doctrine.

*** w56 9/15 p. 547 Learn How to Learn ***

No one can come to an accurate knowledge of the truth unless the teaching he receives actually leads to the truth . Jesus said there would be many false Christian teachers in these “last days.” So the Christian who has learned how to learn will “make sure of all things.” He will “keep testing whether” he has accurate knowledge and is “in the faith.” This requires a willingness to examine what he has already learned to make sure that it is the right kind of teaching, that it is in harmony with the standard for accurate knowledge, the Bible.—1 Thess. 5:21; 2 Cor. 13:5, NW.

• cutenconfuzed422
    cutenconfuzed422

Thanks everyone. That helped so much. I was looking up some other stuff on JW, and I got on this one site that gave a list of things they are not allowed to do, things they shouldn't do, and things they have to do, and JW seem more like a cult than an actual religion. And also, it says in the Bible it is a sin to add or take away anything from the scripture, and they seem to do that a lot. I might be mistaken, if I am please correct me.

• Joker10
    Joker10

Plese don't believe everything you are being told here. If you are looking for information please do yourself a favor and listen to the other side-- the very own Jehovah's Witnesses. Keep in mind that many who post here are people who don't like JW's.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I think Joker's suggestion is perfectly sensible. If you're curious about the Witnesses, by all means talk to them.

I don't think you'll find that a Witness will deny anything that was said in this thread, however, except for the claim that many Witnesses are not spiritually motivated (which is not anything that any of us can really know, since we can't know anyone else's motives for certain!). There are many things that they might phrase in a more appealing manner. But we've stated what they believe, plain and simple.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Joker tell me what has been said on this thread that is not correct or are you simply giving Meg advice to get both sides of the story...something her freind would be forbidden to do once she was baptized as a witness.

I like your forum name BTW........... Russell and Rutherford would be proud or have you not read their writings?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sure, check the source. This link is to the official Watchtower site, with a list of some of their key doctrines.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/jt/index.htm

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

There are paradoxes in religion. One of the reasons I am still a Witness is that, though in my heart I am Evangelical in believing in salvation only by Christ, not by a Governing Body, there is no way I can believe in the Trinity doctrine. Or a literal Hellfire. Or everlasting torment of souls. Trinity is not even a Bible word, and Hell and damnation go against God who is Love.

So right now, I am really the only known member of my own religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit