Do JWs buy old JW books to destroy?

by mickbobcat 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    skin - a letter read out about 6 years ago asking for all old publications to be returned to them

Wow. I was long gone by then. I have to say that as soon as I left the dangerous cult, my books ended up in the landfill.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

I have bought old literature for research/illustrations.

Funniest purchase was when I asked the person selling the stuff if they were fading or had been df'd. No they hadn't. I shared my experience and received a sweet letter and a Return to Jehovah Brochure. So that went into my collection too.

I think I ought to open a museum and offer teas and coffees. I even have trinkets (that we were encouraged to make and exchange) from the 2014 International Convention. For example a wooden spoon with one diamante on it and the super-rare (maybe) Sophia broach made from a bottle top.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Skin, I never knew they asked for their literature back. This tells a lot, they absolutely hate that they have such crazy crap out there. This is why I collect as do others. I try to find the most crazy crap and collect it first. The 34 year book is expensive, it goes for 3 to 4 hundred. I can not justify paying that. I found a finished Mystery book at a flea market and and sold it to someone on Reddit for 100. A fair price. I try to keep a look out, I once bought a 1968 truth book at a church garage sale and sold it on my etsy account. This is when I started to think some uber dubber may be buying this stuff to destroy.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

The sad reality is that if you show an old book to a "spiritual" JW today, you will immediately be flagged as an apostate. I remember, in my initial stages of questioning the "truth", I was about to share writings of Charles Russel with a friend of mine. He literally fled my house telling me that he would not hear anything that would cause his faith to be stumbled. We were talking, he stood up and walked out of my house, mid conversation! In the end, his irrational reaction had a higher negative impact on my faith than the writings of Charles Russel!!

So, yeah, having old literature is a good thing for confirming your own decisions. Then, later, you can use these to discuss with people who were never JWs or that have since left the cult. But you will have next to no success with the JWs themselves. They view anyone digging the past in a very bad light.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The "new light" changes have come for over a century, but I never have heard of Witnesses destroying Watchtower literature. I remember Witnesses treating Watchtower literature as holy relics with magical powers. Even when the content inside the literature was declared "uninspired" by the author (Watchtower).

I remember the hellacious beatdowns that awaited Witness kids that drew inside their Watchtower publications.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina
    Kids I knew played hangman in their WTs.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t know about JWs destroying Watchtower books, but it’s a big world out there, and I dare say it has probably happened sometime, somewhere. I don’t think it’s a regular occurrence however.

On the other hand, when I was a believing JW, I admit that I destroyed two apostate books. Well I put them in the bin, which was as good as destroying them, because they must have ended up in the landfill. One was a hardcover copy Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave—an early edition with a striking black and red cover. It was a shame to destroy that book, although there are thousands of copies around, and it’s still in print.

The other book I destroyed, I am sorry to say, is quite a rare book called God, Blood, and Society written by a Scottish doctor called Alfred Derek Farr. It was an early response to the Watchtower’s blood doctrine that attempted to refute it on theological, historical, ethical, and medical grounds. There are not many copies of this book around and I regretted destroying soon after I did it. Needless to say I don’t destroy books—Watchtower, or anti-Watchtower—anymore!

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Me and my future Brother in law at the time were in service and given a copy of 30 years a Tower slave. This was in the late 70s early 80s and we had no way to find out the history of the cult without spending exhaustive time at a library and then I am not sure you could even find a lot of these older books or any counter ideas to the cult. The local elder took it away and gave us a BS story on how the writer was an apostate that would call the police on people he sent out in service so he could be a fake hero and bail them out.

• vienne
    vienne

I would love to have a scan of "God, Blood, and Society written by a Scottish doctor called Alfred Derek Farr" Anyone have it?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think this would be EXCELLENT!

I sell "replica reprints" and the supply of these is virtually INFINITE!

Please, dubbish ones, buy more! Your salvation depends on it!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit