JW.org marks International Women's Day 2019

by neat blue dog 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

For the second year in a row, the org has marked International Women's Day. This time, it's an article that lists most female Bible characters in alphabetical order with a brief summary for each, topped by a picture of them in 'empowering' poses. Rey and Captain Marvel would be proud lol.

When it comes to Deborah, they as usual refuse to acknowledge her clear status as a judge, only calling her a prophetess and settling for this:

God also used her to help settle problems among the Israelites.

To downplay the action she took, the wording is thus:

At his direction, she summoned Barak to lead an Israelite army

And instead of showing that Barak obviously looked up to her and she did him a favor by going along, they twist that into an act of submission, saying she:

willingly complied with his request
  • blondie
    blondie

Is this a UN sponsored event? The WTS used to be required to put certain type of articles in their magazines to qualify for NGO status.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Good question 🤔

• Spiral
    Spiral

I think Blondie is on to something. We all know the GB could care less about women, or any "worldly" event like International Women's Day. Something else is going on here.

And I guess there are no modern JW women to mention. Oh, yes, that's because they are minimized at every turn.

Funny, this whole thing.

• Ding
    Ding
    They can recognize International Women's Day but not Mother's Day, Father's Day, Thanksgiving, JWs' birthdays...
  • newsheep
    newsheep

What is the date of the magazine is this in?

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

Yah, is there some kind of statement, noting international women's day? I would be shocked if they acknowledged it at all. Absolutely shocked. Blondies comment would be my line of thought as well, if it is actually in recognition of international women's day.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    What is the date of the magazine is this in?

As is often the case nowadays, this is an online article.

is there some kind of statement, noting international women's day? I would be shocked if they acknowledged it at all

You are correct, it is never specifically mentioned. However I hardly think it is a coincidence that an article only about women comes out during Women's Day, and two years in a row at that.

• blondie
    blondie

This is much info about the WTS association with the UN.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/united-nations-association.php

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Of course this article is not to empower sisters in the congregation. It is for the outside world and maybe for official parttaking of a UN or OSCE, Helsinki comite cooperation.

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit