50 years ago today

by frozen2018 15 Replies latest jw friends

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I kinda remember some comments about how Jehovah was not pleased that man had left the realm of the earth!

• jws
    jws

I was thinking of this. I have a very fuzzy memory of this event. I was about 2.5 years old. I remember being in the living room with all of my family watching pictures that weren't exactly clear. My whole family was there. My mom and dad, my two older sisters, and my younger baby brother. All watching TV on what was more of a piece of furniture in a wooden cabinet.

The significance didn't really register at the time. After all, I was 2. But that man was landing on the moon. Apparently for the first time. And if we looked up at the moon, there were people up there right now. It probably shaped my subconscious in ways I didn't even realize. And gave me an interest in exploring, in other planets, and a love for sci-fi space movies, which just exploded 8 summers later with a film about space wizards and a princess.

• LV101
    LV101

I heard (I don't know if this is fact) the rocket is the Saturn V -- same incredible one science/engineering created 50 yrs. ago. The space program did stall/slow down but hard to believe. Kind of like the solid B-52s - about 60 yrs. ago and still flying.

• titch
    titch

Yes, I sure do. I also, was 15 years old, the Summer between my Freshman and Sophomore years of high school. I mentioned this in another thread, but I had spent the final day of a 7-day International Assembly, at Dodger Stadium. My parents stayed home that day, to take care of my older niece, but I arrived home just in time to watch the TV broadcast of the event. It was interesting, to say the least. Best Regards, all

Titch

• titch
    titch

And, ,this is kind of related to the topic. If you want to watch a good movie, watch "Pontiac Moon", which stars Ted Danson, his wife, Mary (?) Steenburgen, and a child actor named Ryan Todd. It relates to the Moon landing, and father and son trying to get to the Spires of the Moon monument in an old Pontiac Chief. Great music in the movie, too! I recommend it! Best Regards.

Titch

• sir82
    sir82

I had not yet started kindegarten, but I do remember watching the fuzzy pictures on our tiny TV.

I remember the later missions a little better, since I was a little older.

I remember it was profoundly disappointing when the missions stopped. "Skylab" was quite boring compared to driving a dune buggy on the moon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit