Body of Elders Leadership

by bola 14 Replies latest jw friends

• bola
    bola

Who has more power in the body of elders in Watchtower. Is it the CBOE, Secretary, Service Overseer or who? I am just wondering since in my congo there seems to be cowards among them.

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper

There is not supposed to be any power difference. It has been emphasized, after the name change from Presiding Overseer to Coordinator, that the CoBE is simply the chairman for the body.

We know that's not true however. Often too, the men who want to be CoBE have a little cult of personality about them, are ambitious. The CO must also approve the CoBE- this always smacked me of ensuring an appropriately deferential man is CoBE.

• JWTom
    JWTom

In my experience the COBE and Secretary run the show in most congregations. While they are all supposed to be equal the reality is that the COBE and Secretary have to be willing to do a great deal of work and thus get enhanced influence and respect as a result.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree with the observations above.

A related point: I have been wondering about the technological impact on the role of secretary. At one time the secretary was responsible for relaying correspondence to and from the body of elders, and I recall some discussion about instances where this position was used to intercept communications that the secretary didn’t wish to convey in either direction for whatever reason. But as I understand it this is no longer possible because all elders receive the same correspondence at the same time through their JW dot org login. So the secretary no longer has any privileged access and his role is much diminished.

Is that true? I am only surmising from what I’ve read and heard, and have no direct experience as an elder at any time!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

The question is wrong. The COBE has the final say and authority although a senior respected elder that may not even be in the service committee may be the most powerful because of his wisdom and experience and other reasons could influence or guide the other elders when needed. So, although the cobe officially has the final say, another influential brother could be the most powerful.

• asp59
    asp59

Elders body is made of clicks base on age, race, money and taste. Usually the one most dominant has the last word. Congregations are small version of society.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

The most powerful elder in any body is the one who is the wealthiest and the most educated

• Gorb
    Gorb

My father was a long time secretary and with that he had a lot of power to influance the COBE.

The COBE was the face, the secretsry the brains.

G.

• waton
    waton

the third fiddle in the trio is the field service overseer. the commissar herding the sheep into combat.

feel sorry for them.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    who?

The biggest bully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit