youngest baptised.

by zeb 23 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

What is the youngest you have seen someone baptised? I recall seeing a 9 yo girl baptised.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

A seven year old. At the time, it was so "heart warming". Now that I'm awake, my blood runs cold at the implications of a minor being locked into this sickening, life-long contract.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Probably me. It happened long ago on a whim. I just nagged my parents on the way to the convention and lo, i as was baptised. I can't remember the date or even the year, I was no older than 10. So, youngest? I've no idea. It could have been a church infant baptism with equivalent validity.

What a fine, informed decision to affect the rest of your life.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Slidin Fast, I was hot on your tail. At age ten, like all other children, you're operating under the quaint assumption that mommy and daddy will always love you, no matter what, and that you'll be a part of their family forever.

How dead wrong we were.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

My niece is 9 and is being groomed for baptism by her parents.

How long do you think it'll be before we see Caleb and Sophia taking the plunge?

• carla
    carla

I thought someone here said 6 but it could have been elsewhere that I saw that.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I've seen a 7 year old get baptized. I recall COs giving talks in which they mentioned 5 and 6 year old children getting baptized. One CO himself was baptized at 6.

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

How can JWs deride infant baptism by Catholics but think that kids in the first few grades of school getting baptised are okay? Seems quite similar. Myself, I was 12 and did it simply because that's what all the good kids were doing doing and what you were expected to do. I viewed myself as a good person. So I did it. However, I cared much more about the current video game I was playing than anything JW. The human brain doesn't finish fully developing until the mid twenties or so.

• SummerAngel
    SummerAngel

I am stunned that social Services rant more involved with me practices like this. The implications of what you sign up to are huge. Surely shunning a minor is psychological and emotional abuse

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

If they were an honest bunch, being that baptism is THE most important decision (they say) you will ever make, they would not be promoting baptism until after the bloom of youth. If you are not mature enough to marry then obviously you are not mature enough to enter into a more serious decision. Besides that, most kids and newer "ones" associating w/ the JWs are not fully and correctly informed about the bORG, it's past and what REALLY happens if you change your mind after taking the plunge. How can a 12 year old wrap their mind around permanent loss of mom and dad and siblings... growing up alone and unloved... Their kids having no grandparents (on their side) no aunts, no uncles.. no family.. Now I didn't grow up in it but I certainly didn't understand all of this and I was somewhere past 25 years old (dont want to give too much detail) how can a minor be expected to know what they are doing?

They can't. And the bORG knows it - it's child abuse plain and simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit