Prince died. The Awake article come across my mind.

by AntiEntropy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• AntiEntropy
    AntiEntropy

Enlarge the picture

Music: Both rap and heavy metal music have recently come under increasing fire for similar content problems. Songs that glorify the sexual degradation and abuse of women, violence and hatred toward various races and policemen, and even Satanism have all been found among rap and heavy metal records. In some areas, records with such explicit material must carry warning labels. But as the rapper Ice-T reportedly admitted, he puts shocking lyrics in his songs just to earn such a label; it guarantees luring the curious. The rock star Prince sang the praises of brother-sister incest. Often, music videos simply give such crass immorality an added visual dimension. Pop star Madonna’s video Justify My Love won notoriety for portraying sadomasochism and homosexual activity. Even MTV, a U.S. TV channel known at times to broadcast immoral videos with little compunction, refused to air this one.

Once I dealt with his JW story in Korean.

http://www.jw.or.kr/article/prince-%EA%B7%B8%EB%8A%94-%EC%96%B4%EB%96%BB%EA%B2%8C-jworg%EA%B0%80-%EB%90%98%EC%97%88%EB%82%98

• Landy
    Landy
    I dare say they'll take his money if he leaves it to them.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

What magazine is that article in? I can hardly read but it seems it was 11/8/1992 AWake

• AntiEntropy
    AntiEntropy

@StarTrekAgel

Yes, it was 8th, Nov. 1992.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I remember reading an awake article that was making reference to his song Darling Nikki when the Purple Rain album came out, discussing the immorality of the music back then but I don't remember the date of the magazine.

LRG

• Watchtower-Free
  • freddo
    freddo
    Good find!
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We were ALWAYS told to NEVER name specific people, movies, artists, etc in talks etc...

I can't believe this was actually in print! So many people spoken of in such a derogatory way!

Wonder if their lawyers would approve?

• AntiEntropy
    AntiEntropy
    I guess that article could make Prince a JW.
  • steve2
    steve2

To be fair to the JWs, the more lurid, sexually explicit aspects of Prince's career predated his becoming a JW. Notice that the quote is from an Awake from 1992, whereas Prince converted around 2001 - 2003. He certainly toned down much of his act and there were some of his earlier songs he simply refused to sing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit