Young JW's attitudes

by Phizzy 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

He needs to break up the social system as they grow up. By that I mean he needs to allow and encourage them to hang out with the kids from school.

I fortunately have been able to do this with my teenage girl. She is quickly seeing that the teens in the hall don't give a shit if she isn't around. I'm so hopeful she will get out fully within the next year or so.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you all for your sensible comments and advice. I shall share these with my friend when we enjoy a beer or seven soon !

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

What worries him though is that he is convinced almost all young JW's do not give a "proverbial" if it is the Truth or not, they simply wish to remain in it because of the social aspects, loads of friends and activities that they feel safe partaking in etc etc.

My wife and I have made similar comments to each other but not particularly regarding the young just younger than us.

Although i had disagreements with my parents they raised us to be in the truth because it was the truth and nothing to do with friendships or how much fun we could have and i agreed with that. In all honesty I found very little enjoyment with associating with the congregation.

How do we convince them to make the Leap ?

Should they ?

I don't really feel that it is anything to do with me how they view their dedication and I wouldn't try to convince them of anything. I would only explain my views if they question me.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Beneath the attitudes, motivations of younger people lies an interesting point. As older, even middle aged ones die off, who is there to take the lead, accept responsibilities in the Congs? A very small talent pool probably as younger ones mature and continue as 'social' members. My generation led and inspired by real leaders, all dead now and in reality we are not far behind them. Where are the elders who are willing to sacrifice all for the WT coming from? Families taking second place to demands of cong, where are such ones being trained?

Not for me to decide how others lead their lives but I can see disaster ahead for WT as cash dries up as the self sacrificing ones die off and present youth come to being backbones of Congs. In business world lots made of Continuity Planning, to deal with retirement etc of present management. WT has no CT at cong level so a HQ leadership with no clear plan for future, oh yes Great Tribulation, what a laugh!

• smiddy
    smiddy

This is such a very good thread Phizzy

, I can go back over 30 years when my wife and i were attending meetings , however my wife would miss a couple of meetings week after week , and a freind of ours an Elders wife said to her don`t you miss the social activity of coming to the meetings ? In trying to encourage her meeting attendance

And this Elders wife was a social butterfly at the meetings.

If they don`t engage in this social activity at Jehovah`s Witness meetings ? where else can they go ?

LOL , where can they go ? Anywhere , Everywhere ,as they say the world is your oyster , what you can or can`t do is limited to your imagination.

Jehovah`s Witnesses stifle imagination /creativity , cast off those shackles and you can pursue your dreams.

smiddy

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

The biggest thing taking out young people are their 'worldly' peers.

When their peers start to enjoy the freedoms that JWs are not entitled to, it magnifies how badly they are missing out. Many succumb to such normalities, or should I say 'peer pressure'.

This fact is a very good tool to use.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    ......JW's do not give a "proverbial" if it is the Truth or not, they simply wish to remain in it because of the social aspects

The good thing is, this generation don't donate much if at all, they are a drain on the organisation not a resource.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, it's very difficult Phizzy.

I'm not sure telling them to take the leap is always a good idea.

I think the best thing to do, whether young JWs are encouraged to take the leap or not, is stress the value of a good education - including higher education where appropriate. Get the youngsters' heads properly screwed on, get them into university if possible, and get them thinking about having a good career or being financially secure.

Of course, those that do go to uni will be exposed to critical thinking.

Then, take it from there (it's a good place to start).

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"The good thing is, this generation don't donate much if at all, they are a drain on the organisation not a resource."

Yes, the WT is feeling the drain from the lack of donations. No more giving of your "valuable" things. I have also heard some of the older ones making statements that they do not want to donate, they don't want their money going for child abuse lawsuits. When I hear this, it just makes me smile.

• pbrow
    pbrow

The attitude is permeating throughout the org and ingrains itself particularly well with children. The dubs have indoctrination down to a science, specifically geared towards children. This goes to show how important it is to do everything in your power to just leave if you have children. YOU may try to teach critical thinking but everyone else around you will be actively fighting you. The more kids are left to rot in kingdom halls every week the more difficult it will be for them to get out. Openly oppose this disease especially in front of your children.

pbrow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit