WTBTS vs. Islam

by kairos 26 Replies latest jw friends

• kairos
    kairos

The articles and meeting parts have been missing something all along, as far as I can see.

JWs are taught to demonize all 'worldly' ( not JWs) organizations, individuals and religions as having no value only to be destroyed by God at 'Harm-you-gettin'-
    ( Armageddon ).

Why do they not mention Islam?
    No scathing denouncements?

The only publication I really remember, was the "Mankind's Search for God" book that touched on the beliefs and practices of Muslims.

Why do you think this is the case?

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    Muslims are a hard sell. The Muslims pay people when they convert, specifically to offset leaving behind old associations. That's a whole lot better than love bombing. Maybe if Jehovah's Witnesses weren't so anti-education they'd be able to afford to keep their kingdom halls and pay people to convert.
  • zeb
    zeb

I have read an I firstly apologise because where I do not recall but of a brother at bethel when 9/11 occurred reported in his after bethel book that some of gb were running around telling everyone that the planes were meant for .. them!

my guess is the gb are scared shitless of Islam

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Maybe so as not to draw attention to the fact that there is almost zero chance of any of the billion+ Muslim population of the world hearing da troof....
  • shepherdless
    shepherdless

Yes, Muslims are a hard sell, as SonoftheTrinity says. My understanding is that they:

• don't accept the bible as being inspired (so there is no point in arguing over one or other interpretation or translation),
    • think giving God/Allah a name such as Jehovah is wrong (even sacrilegious) as it implies there are other gods,
    • are taught a key fault with Christianity is that a person is able to have a direct connection to Allah, without any other person (or organisation) acting as intermediatory.

Add to that that, leaving Islam would be leaving a community.

Maybe Watchtower is scared of saying anything negative about them. No multinational organisation would want to be seen as openly anti-Islam these days. Watchtower has never penetrated the middle east (except where there are expat Christians), and perhaps they want to slip in under the radar. Or perhaps Watchtower just can't work out a suitable rhetoric to deal with them.

• ssn587
    ssn587
    Cowardice comes to mind
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    In Muslim countries it is illegal to proselytize to non Christians. The WT does not buck the trend. And in other places, the WT rhetoric doesn't appeal to the Muslim mindset.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I think acknowledging other religions too much highlights the convoluted nature of religion and similarities to themselves. I think their poster religion to attack is Catholicism because they are a big apethetic easy target. The picture of Babylon the great. All others, Islam, other cults like Mormons and Scientology I think they'd just rather ignore because its to complicated to complain about what makes them bad when its the same thing as the jws.
  • Simon
    Simon

The WTS doesn't criticize Islam because they get very few converts from it.

They attack the Catholic Church constantly because disaffected Catholics were their main recruiting target.

That's probably less successful now they have the same scandals and abuse issues plus the new Pope has reinvigorated the Catholic church and made it more popular again and cooler than the new age religion which now looks like the stodgy and corrupt one.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    To be perfectly honest, I half-suspect that the WT leadership kinda-sorta thinks fundamentalist Islam has the right idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit