How do JWs view the Ransom?

by Vanderhoven7 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

LV101, yes Russell was very different from Rutherford. It was not the simplicity of the gospel but a charitable altruistic alternative gospel he presented and no shunning in the JW sense, no blood policy, no ban of christmas, birthdays. All that came with a different spirit from Rutherford and later. It is also true that while the reformers were hard men in hard times, their work not only brought the simplicity of the gospel to light but also humanism and atheism.

Well EverApostate. I agree there is not much to gain from the death of a servant god. I agree there is not much to gain from the JW version. But God himself becoming man and partaking in our suffering is a high level philosophy that makes me completely dizzy and overwhelmed

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Wait Joen...for God so loved the world that he sent his top angel....doesn't move you?

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Vanderhoven7, exactly. Arianism/Unitarianism might be more rational, but there is a profound power in Jesus being God himself. In JW theology, Jesus is enigmaticly both the creator of all other things and one of the princes. I remember a video about young people making the wonderful choice of full time ministry and Stephen Lett said "It would make Jesus happy and more importantly it would make Jehovah happy". I had to listen to that a few times before it sinked in. He really said that

• LV101
    LV101

JoenB75 - you believe God became Jesus (trinity)? When Lett said, "It would make Jesus happy and more importantly it would make Jehovah happy" referring to them as two separate persons, right? JWs believe they are separate as far as I know -- I'm sure I'm confused re/Lett's comment or he was implying both of them in one (trinity)?

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

LV101, I basically believe God became man but no trinity. He was existing as God but simultaniously took on the existence of man in the incarnation (Philippians 2:6-7).

• LV101
    LV101

JoenB75 thanks/appreciate. It's over my head after 'thinking' WT made sense -- very limited biblical knowledge on my part.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Stephen lett's comment was probably not well thought over. In jw teaching, Jesus is God's ever obedient super servant and what makes God happy, makes Jesus happy. If anything it shows a disdain for Jesus you dont find in the Bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Jehovah's Witnesses view the 'ransom' as essential and also demonic.

The Watchtower, 15 November 2014, page 12:

The only way any of us can have peace with God is to have faith in Jesus’ ransom sacrifice and appreciate that blood has special meaning to our Creator.

The Watchtower, 1 April 2007, page 19:

Human sacrifice in any form is demonic, and true worshippers of God stay away from anything that is connected with such a practice.

• LV101
    LV101
    Yes - WT world only allows certain info/category for Jesus. Trinity didn't make sense and WT's version of God and the son being separate did - much different than Baptist church.
  • JoenB75
    JoenB75

LV101 yes Arianism makes sense to some people and I can certainly see why the trinity makes no sense to people. We may ask who became man? Who is this new Lord and enfleshed voice of God? ☺️

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit