US Republican congressman, others injured by shooter in Washington DC

by sir82 48 Replies latest jw friends

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I think if the recent terrorist attacks in Europe prove anything, it's that gun or no gun, if someone is determined to kill people, it's going to happen. Even if it's a car. A gun is a weapon and an inanimate object, it doesn't come with a set of beliefs telling you how to use it.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Hopefully the Republicans can get silencers legalized. A bill they are working on right now. It sucks that spree killers have to make so much noise once they get going. Easily available silencers, that's the ticket!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

If the gunman got his gun legally through background checks... gun control didn't work

If the gunman got his gun illegally without background checks... gun control didn't work

The same people who are quick to blame an inanimate object (a gun) for violence are the same people NOT willing to blame a bloodthirsty ideology like Islam

Liberal stupidity 101

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    An actual REAL tyrannical government would disarm the people first, doesn't that make more sense???

To me, that mindset is at the core of the problem. Most Western democracies operate fine, with the population disarmed. They are not tyrannys.

When you have a mentality that the second amendment:

(a) means that any individual nutter should be permitted to own an assault rifle; and

(b) is for the purpose of keeping the government in check,

it is inevitable there are going to be incidents like this. I am surprised they do not occur more often.

I should add that I don't know what type of rifle was used in this case, and I am not someone who advocates a complete ban on all guns. I do think that gun laws in USA are absurd, the current interpretation of the second amendment is absurd, and both combined cause tens of thousands of deaths; deaths that shouldn't occur in a wealthy modern democracy.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Imagine if all of the western world adapted the same principle of the USA `s wording of the 2nd amendment that every citizen has the right to carry firearms.(and apparently use them as they saw fit)

Imagine the carnage in Australia ,Europe ,britain and anywhere else on the globe if this were the case.

The USA is living in a time warp of the "Old West" that they are reluctant to shake off .

It`s about time they came into the 21st Century and discarded these outdated ideas and joined the modern era.and discarded this long past use by date amendment.

Its a stain on the American Flag (a bloodstain)

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

So smiddy.... lets say you had your way and somehow every firearm disappeared from the world tomorrow. Would murder stop? Do you think violent crime would really be reduced significantly? Was the world a more peaceful place before guns were invented?

Did Cain need a gun to murder Abel? The problem is in the human heart. The object used to carry out the act doesn't matter. People with violent inclinations will find a way to do what they do.

Now before you say "well guns make it easier to kill more people quicker" are you paying attention to the news? Violent people have become very creative lately in how do their damage. As a matter of fact even if you look at the biggest cases of mass murder in the USA the object of choice was something flammable and or explosive. Lately autos/trucks have been the preferred tool of carnage.

In the USA guns are not the root cause to our violent inner cities. There are many social/economical/racial/cultural reasons. Yes our over all violent crime rate is relativity high compared to much of the world.... MOST of that takes place in just a handful of metropolitan areas. Most of the USA is very safe and peaceful. Fix the issues that plagues our inner cities, and gun control becomes unnecessary.

I support gun rights because it is the only thing in the world that can take a little old lady and put her on the same level as the most hardened gang banger. If you can not forcefully protect your own right to life, you have no guarantees of ANY of your rights.

• smiddy
    smiddy

So smiddy.... lets say you had your way and somehow every firearm disappeared from the world tomorrow. Would murder stop? Do you think violent crime would really be reduced significantly? Was the world a more peaceful place before guns were invented?

No of course not ,but does everybody having a gun stop the scenario you have provided above ? no of course not.

Fix the issues that plagues our inner cities, and gun control becomes unnecessary.

Agreed ,do that and you can get rid of everybody needing to carry a gun and some nutter goes off half cocked and kills innocent people.

No brainer

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

By your simpleton logic then everyone in Texas should be dead and the streets should be running red with blood.

But they aren't.

A gun is a weapon. When someone looses their mind and kills people its not a big surprise. Guess what. They can also make bombs at home from stuff from the hardware store. Or better yet get in your car and drive through a crowd!

Truth is most gun deaths in America are suicides and criminals in inner cities where gun laws are most restrictive.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Just had to login to give Outlaw's post a like! Only someone with hate in their heart and a screw loose in their head goes around shooting people!

In the UK guns are not so easily come by, so they pick up a cheap bread knife from the local supermarket. If their hatred makes them want to kill they'll do it with whatever they have at hand.

• Londo111
    Londo111

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/opinions/republicans-dont-blame-liberals-cupp-opinion/index.html

This is not the first person in congress to be shot. It occurred in 2011.

This is not an occasion to use this tragedy as a political football.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit