WITNESS-FOR-WATCHTOWER-REFORM

The Governing Body

Service department of Jehovah’s Witnesses

2821 Route 22

Patterson

New York

9/07/2016

Dear Brothers,

In my latest letter, I wanted to feed back or highlight a reason (I believe), as to why many of our halls appear to be half empty; why brother half hearted and sister ‘can’t be bothered’ feel the way they do; why the ‘organisation appears to be haemorrhaging many of its members all around the world at this time.

While I was reading through Matthew chapter 23, it occurred to me that you have fallen into the exact same trap the Pharisees fell into thousands of years ago. Throughout this particular chapter, Jesus chastised the religious leaders for all their man made rules they loaded down on the people. I can only wonder what Jesus would say to you ‘the Governing Body’ of Jehovah’s Witnesses today, concerning YOUR many man made rules, policies and teachings that YOU load down on YOUR members.

Mat 23:1 - Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying: 2 “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the seat of Moses. 3 Therefore all the things they tell YOU, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds, for they say but do not perform.

Where have the Governing Body seated themselves? More honor seems to be shown to the Governing Body than Jesus ‘our leader’ – Just an observation!

4 They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger.

Most Witnesses, especially Elders and Ministerial servants feel loaded down with all your rules, policies, teachings, meetings, obligations etc. Are you willing to lighten the load/budge them with your finger? That is why so many tire out and give up!

……………………………………………………………8 But YOU, do not YOU be called Rabbi, for one is YOUR teacher, whereas all YOU are brothers. 9 Moreover, do not call anyone YOUR father on earth, for one is YOUR Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for YOUR Leader is one, the Christ. 11 But the greatest one among YOU must be YOUR minister. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Often at Judicial committees…the person under ‘interrogation’ will be asked to state if they view the Governing Body as the sole channel of communication used by God - to ‘ULTIMATELY PROVE’ their loyalty to the ‘ORGANISATION’. It doesn’t seem to matter if the person being interviewed ABSOLUTELY believes that OUR leader is the Christ?

13Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU shut up the kingdom of the heavens before men; for YOU yourselves do not go in, neither do YOU permit those on their way in to go in. 14 ——

How many have been disfellowshipped (ie kicked out, cut off, shunned by family members and friends) for trivial matters eg celebrating their childs birth ( instead of leaving it to a matter of conscience); or not agreeing on a particular teaching as interpreted ‘today’ (not being allowed to agree to disagree etc)

15Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU traverse sea and dry land to make one proselyte, and when he becomes one YOU make him a subject for Ge·hen′na twice as much so as yourselves.

How many hours do we spend in preaching and teaching individuals to become Jehovah’s Witnesses, but are ready to judge them on just about any triviality according to your rules, policies and teachings. Many fall away because they can’t be themselves anymore!

…………………………………23 “Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU give the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but YOU have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness. These things it was binding to do, yet not to disregard the other things.

Where is the justice and mercy toward individuals who decided to disassociate for the reason they didn’t ‘for example’ get justice in the past if raped or abused as a child by another member; their ‘shepherds’ simply letting them down when they needed them most (because of YOUR policies and especially YOUR interpretation of the 2 witness rule policy). The choice of formally leaving the organisation isn’t even an option, despite the trauma they have had to endure. You kick such ones when they are already down, by putting in place your cruel shunning policy, thus creating further stress and trauma on these poor individuals whose family members then proceed to cut them off as a result. That is despicable on your part as religious leaders. I apologise…its not my place to say that!

24 Blind guides, who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel 27 “Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of every sort of uncleanness. 28 In that way YOU also, outwardly indeed, appear righteous to men, but inside YOU are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

YES – Things kept ‘in house’ and ‘swept under the carpet’ eg The Royal Australian Commission – Need I say anymore

Brothers, please reform now and issue an apology to all those who have been and continue to be hurt by YOUR policies and teachings. Bring about change; a system of beliefs (in line with scripture) where the rank and file members can truly experience Christian freedom without fear.

Thank you for taking the time in reading this letter

Your brother

JM

Witness for Watchtower reform

• Saename
    Saename

Interesting letter. I have no doubt it will go unnoticed. I believe it will bear no fruits. The Watchtower is too far gone already. The Governing Body members believe they have complete authority over their followers. It is indeed sad, but that is the reality. Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Governing Body is the sole channel of communication on earth between them and God, and that it is through them that God presents his will. The only vice of those Jehovah's Witnesses is naiveness.

They have absolute faith that whenever their or somebody else's interpretation of the Bible is inconsistent with what the Governing Body teaches, it is not the fault of the Governing Body. They have absolute faith that the interpretation that the Governing Body presents actually comes from God. It is true that they are forgetting the concept of new light when they dismiss any possible mistakes in their current interpretation. However, that concept never comes into discussion with them before any changes are made. This concept of new light is always discussed and reminded of after those changes. This is why they are so naive.

I certainly do not want you to feel depressed, sad, or sorrowful because of that. However, neither do I want you to get your hopes up. Nothing will change with the Watchtower until the governments take decisive action. Since it is taking place right now, it is true that we might see some changes in policies like the two-witness rule. Nonetheless, I believe nothing beyond that will happen. It is hard to see if the Watchtower would ever forego their current policy of shunning—unless, of course, it were decided by secular authorities that such practice is against human rights and freedom of religion.

• millie210
    millie210

I admire your passion for what you feel and your commitment.

I am not made of what that takes but I do admire your efforts.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Nice letter but don't expect a reply. Nicely done BTW. I'm hoping your letter will be an open one shared among many lurkers to this sight. Lots of 'food for thought' for the faithful drones that still spout the party line.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

It's a noble idea and a nice letter. In the early days, I spent many afternoons drafting letters to the governing body. I never really sent any.But they were cathartic. I realized early on that the governing body and clan are so high and mighty that the chances anybody up in the ivory towers would read past the first paragraph is slim to none.

But you never know, if it makes you feel better , go ahead and send these letters.

• fukitol
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I betting the GB have received hundred if not thousands of these letters already expressing dissatisfaction over their rulership I'm sure if anybody is allowed to read it they are monitored closely to see if they are being effected. Maybe it is delivered to a special place and only breifly read by a GB Helper if at all. Anyway the effort is indeed very noble.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I have to echo those who say that it's a great effort and comes from a good place. I also believe that from the biblical point of view that you're coming from, you are absolutely right.

I also have to agree with thinking that it's not going to make a dent. That said, it's still a guess. Who knows, it might spark some interest and inspire some change.

But the bigger point is why? Even if the letter is 100% effective, say that they read it, find it useful and they start making changes, what is that supposed to accomplish in the end? Having more people believing that they are going to live 1000 years? More people shunning their loved ones who don't share their believes? More people doing absolutely nothing for their communities because they believe that there's a "new order around the corner"? We need less of that, not more.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Just a tip, Service Department has moved to Wallkill, so has the US Branch Committee. Patterson is pretty much just AV and Legal.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'm anxious to hear of your reply from them.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit