Is disassociating worth the hassle?

by HereIgo 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I have been out now for 6 years but lately I have been giving some thought to DA. I just kind of feel that chapter in my life is still open and for some reason I feel like DA'ing might close that chapter but I'm not entirely sure. Im not DF either, when I left I basically faded and disappeared. I am interested in hearing your thoughts, particularly those who have DA. Did it make a difference for you? Nothing serious, just venting...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

IMHO , I would never d/a myself . If all is quiet there is no point . If they were chasing me for something I would take up all their time in a JC and an appeal, make the so and so's work for it !

A d/a letter means they just say "oh o k " and make the announcement . Then any old contacts that one has will shun you ...

What have you gained?

• freddo
    freddo

Blues Brother makes perhaps the most important point. Any family/old contacts that you don't care whether they shun you or not?

If you do decide to DA then why not email/write to anyone you know about the dangers of being a JW? (Child Abuse/money grabbing/false dates etc.)

• Chook
    Chook

There's the thought it would be waist of a postage stamp. If you have any family that's a consideration. Then there is the thought of not having to answer to them (which is my line of thinking). If DA floats your boat sign it with a amen from me. DA would be ok if you got off there database, but I think the cult has everyone on it for life. You could say in your letter you will change your mind if bro Lett rings you to discuss your doubts, I promise ph won't ring.

• freddo
    freddo

@Chook

In another thread you spoke of grabbing the biggest sword and swinging like buggery in relation to severing ties with JW'ism! I loved that. I wish I had the circumstances/balls to do it.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you can't progress with your life unless you d/a, then go ahead. All the best.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

hereigo--you are de facto diassociated already.

i would have thought any letter saying a person has disassociated themselves is only worth while if they were associating untill recently. 6 years aint recent !.

• Fernando
    Fernando

It was the right thing for our family, and allowed us to be open about our beliefs and choices without looking over our shoulders all the time.

The freedom to take a book out from the library without fear of assassination by a Judging Committee is fundamental and priceless to us.

In rejecting the Watchtower we were also rejecting their apostasy (spiritual unfaithfulness).

• freddo
    freddo

@Fernando

Did many of your family leave too?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Personally I do not recognize them as having any authority over me, or any right to a formal resignation (DA).

I have pointed out to a number of JW's that the religion I left, 8 or 9 years ago now, no longer exists, so how can I dis-associate from something that does not exist ?

To send a letter would be to undo all the Cognitive Dissonance I have stirred up in those JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit