Genital Warts Because our Ancestors were Banging Neanderthals

by cofty 18 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Researchers have found evidence that modern genital warts – otherwise known as the human papillomavirus (HPV) – were sexually transmitted to Homo sapiens after our ancestors slept with Neanderthals and Denisovans roughly around 100,000 years ago....

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

hmmm i caught them from a previous wife....now i know who she had been playing around with.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

That's only half the story, Cofty. As many versions of this story explain, the DNA of most humans on the earth have small traces of Neanderthal DNA. (And some East Asians have traces of Denisovan DNA).

Which must raise some worrying questions for true believers. How did Adam's DNA get to contain traces of Neanderthal DNA?

• bohm
    bohm

In related news, scientists discover the first use of the phrase: I told you that would happend

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

A 100,000 years ago? I'm a little confused. Although we started migrating 60,000 years ago from Africa it wasn't until about 45,000 years ago that our species colonized Europe where Neandertals lived (There is no evidence of them elsewhere). There may have been other "archaic" species in Africa who, when we began to expand in and out of the continent, might have infected us.

Yet again, we might have caught it from Neandertals in the ever changing border between our two populations (?).

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Village Idiot: ... in the ever changing border between our two populations.

Two separate populations interfacing at a border, is a very modern concept. More likely people whom we tag with different nation/state descriptions, can have the same ethnic origins.

In the case of the Neanderthals and our ancestors, perhaps the two populations lived adjacent to each other. For example, in a long river valley, there may have been a village of Neanderthals, and not too far away, there may have been a village of a more modern type of human.

Difficult to say, isn't it?

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I'm not sure but I read some where that europeans had about 3% DNA from neaderthals and africans 0%. And there is lots of speculation that we homos that came out of africa in a second wave thousands of years latter help drive them to extinction.

So warts might be consider loosley a genetic fuck you pay back?

• flipper
    flipper

According to the DNA testing service company called " 23 and Me " that tested my DNA it stated that I am 3.1 % Neanderthal ( which I sit at 98 % more Neanderthal than the rest of the planet - only 2 % of the population is more Neanderthal than me or higher than 3.1 %

Yet surprise, surprise I've never had genital warts. LOL. Perhaps I was of the " cleaner " variety of Neanderthal tribes . Peace out, Mr. Flipper Hail Neanderthals !

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    flipper: According to the DNA testing service company called " 23 and Me " that tested my DNA it stated that I am 3.1 % Neanderthal ( which I sit at 98 % more Neanderthal than the rest of the planet - only 2 % of the population is more Neanderthal than me or higher than 3.1 %

I think I have met some close relatives of yours a time or two in my life.

*to add - and by that...I meant to say that they are genuinely affectionate :)

...which might have some bearing on the wart thing

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

We inherited much more than genital warts from Neanderthals: "Our main finding is that Neanderthal DNA does influence clinical traits in modern humans: We discovered associations between Neanderthal DNA and a wide range of traits, including immunological, dermatological, neurological, psychiatric and reproductive diseases," said John Capra, senior author of the paper "The phenotypic legacy of admixture between modern humans and Neanderthals" published in the Feb. 12 issue of the journal Science.

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-neanderthal-dna-subtle-significant-impact.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit