The phrase "one of Jehovah's Witnesses"

by Ding 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

That's interesting Blondie. It makes the JWs look very undignified by adopting the use of JW and I wonder if this had anything to do with Nelsons inspired message to stop using nicknames and abbreviations when referring to their own Church.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ding wondered, "JWs don't say, 'I am a Jehovah's Witness.' Instead, they say, 'I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.' What does the second way of saying it convey that the first does not? In other words, why does the organization prefer the second formulation? This isn't a teaser. I really don't know the answer."

In brief, it is because it is grammatically correct to say, "I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses." The name was derived from Isaiah 43:10, which says “You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “Yes, my servant whom I have chosen... So you are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “and I am God.”

Xanthippe explained it succinctly.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

It's another one of their feel special things, we're not a denomination of Christianity we're Christianity restored. As far as I'm concerned that's all it cones down to.

• steve2
    steve2

Nathan's on the money with this one.

There really is no complicated or pretentious reason at all for JW individuals referring to themselves as "one of Jehovah's Witnesses".. In the English language, you generally don't put "a" before someone's name. For example, if you follow Peter, you are not a Peter's follower but a follower of Peter or one of Peter's followers.

That's it.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

It's simply grammatically correct.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The ironic reality is JWS are witnesses for the Watchtower Corporation publishing house who created a tainted and false commercialized version of preaching the Gospel of Jesus.

Therefore they are not witnesses of Jehovah or either true Christians for that matter..

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

its about exclusivity. they worship jehovah--the rest of mankind dont. ( daft--i know--everyone worships god--regardless of what name has been assigned to him ).

its like if you ask a jw a question--they answer "we"--rather than "I"

we believe this--we dont do that etc

exclusivity.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Actually Orthodox Jews are more witnesses or adherents to Jehovah,( their own god) than JWS are.

JWS are neither according to their own devised doctrines of faith.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Simple. It indicates to other JWs that you are one of them. The brainwashing has sunk down to the level of even your speech mannerisms.

To say "Im a ...." immediately puts other jws on notice you are an outsider.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The brainwashing has sunk down to the level of even your speech mannerisms.

Yep good point Diogenesister

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit