Don't Accept the Blame for Being Shunned

by cofty 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree fully with all of the above. It annoyed me when my mum, referring to our leaving, said something along the lines of : "......... what you have done to the family"

I pointed out to her that we have done nothing to justify a change in the way the family treat us and view us, we simply do not attend at a Kingdom Hall anymore. She simply shrugged her shoulders and continued to blame us in her mind, I am sure.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Phizzy - "She simply shrugged her shoulders and continued to blame us in her mind, I am sure."

For a loyalist to do otherwise would break said mind, I'm sure.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for all your input on this topic.

The broken relationships are NOT our fault.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, cofty, for this thread.

To some JWs, I have endeavored to explain my points of view on religious life style and doctrine. Since I have become what is now "old school," I see that many of the old teachings have been tossed aside: types and antitypes, among others.

I had a special place in my heart for the anointed remnant and their position in different classes, i.e., "Naomi and Ruth," etc. Younger ones cannot understand the basis for my now obsolete faith. So then, it would appear that my inability to grasp onto and revere the new, slick religion -- JW.ORG -- makes my relationship with Jehovah (if such remains) suspect.

If I cannot wholeheartedly jump in and support current JW dogma and practice, I am avoided and, yes, on occasion, shunned. It may not be my fault -- thanks for the reassurance, cofty -- yet, it still hurts.

CoCo

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Avoiding witnesses or not greeting them is playing by their distorted rules!

If you like someone, say Hi, if not dont. But certainly the choice remains ours....NOT theirs. If they ignore, then they look silly, not us....

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I run into Witnesses every day but I usually keep quiet because of my introverted nature. When they're open to talking I just share some niceties but afterwards I get suspicious and wonder why they even spoke to me knowing that I was disfellowshipped. Usually I just nod my head as I pass them.
  • Simon
    Simon

I would also say, don't accept they aren't to blame for them shunning us.

Everybody has a choice to do the right thing or not. They should not get to say "oh, I have to shun you". Make it clear that we know the choice is THEIRS and that THEY are choosing to shun us.

• gone for good
    gone for good

We created their problem that triggered the shunning -by refusing to believe or teach their falsehoods.

We deny their solution by never returning to believing and teaching what we know to be false.

• cofty
    cofty
    I would also say, don't accept they aren't to blame for them shunning us. - Simon

I think this is an important point. Stop being so understanding with friends and relatives about shunning.

Their actions are unconscionable and don't let them forget it.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, when they give the excuse that "they are not allowed to talk to us" or "they have to shun us" just don't accept it. Don't allow them to pass the buck to the WTS for what they are doing.

Make it clear that it is THEY who are doing the shunning because THEY chose to.

They have a choice and if they are making it then they should own it.

We should stop taking part in excusing shunning by putting all blame for it on the WTS. They can't shun anyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit