Is It Israel or Palestine??

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

Anybody want to name all the middle-eastern countries that celebrated the 50th anniversary of Stonewall with a parade?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Israel has existed since 1948, fact, as with any Country that has swallowed up, or even moved on, the inhabitants, what would you do about it now, decades after the event ? Yes, I would like to see Justice for all those this has happened to in recent times, in Myanmar for example, but that is difficult to achieve.

The question I have is, what was the basis for claiming that, the Jewish Diaspora had a "right" to a Homeland where it has ended up, and what was that right based upon ? and does the same principle apply to other Ethnic groups ?

• cofty
    cofty

Jews were unique among all ethnic groups in the world in 1948.

In country after country for centuries they have been singled out as 'the other' and persecuted. The Holocaust was just the latest of countless examples. The UN made a humanitarian decision that they should be given the right to move to the British Mandate in Palestine.

The problems have originated with the homicidal hatred they encountered from their new neighbours. The best place in the Middle East to be an Arab is inside Israel.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

The Zionist terrorists (aka the Stern Gang) fought and killed the British and were no better than the terrorists we have today, but many are unaware of their existence back in the 1940's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehi_(militant_group)

• cofty
    cofty

The reason Zionists were attacking British targets was our caution in not permitting too many Jews to return en masse and overwhelm the native Palestinians.

France funded anti-British terrorism in Palestine in the 40s even while we were fighting to liberate France from the Nazis. See Line in the Sand by James Barr.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Jews were unique among all ethnic groups in the world in 1948."

Other Ethnic groups come to mind, in no particular order. Roma, Native Americans, Irish, S.A Blacks and Boers, Australian Aborigines,Kurds, etc etc.

Some of these are not a Diaspora of course. The problem is that most persecution of Jews has arisen from Religious beliefs, and Religious beliefs were the basis for establishing the Homeland where it is. But it is there, and there to stay I hope, so the resulting problems are those that need to be solved. Hopefully.

Such Antisemitic views are based upon a doubtful History of the Jews, based upon the discredited Gospels etc, the Jews probably did not bring about the death of Jesus if he existed, and if the Jews of the day were instrumental, so what ? the Romans would have done the execution. I know that Muslim Antisemitism is based on a different reason of course. Antisemitism is hateful and wrong, and baseless.

Another question, as the best place to be an Arab is probably within Israel, would not a One State solution be the best, but probably impossible to achieve ?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It's definitely Israel.

Israel is a country, the world's only Jewish state, and has a right to exist.

The situation is complicated and heart-breaking, really.

I know some Palestinian people on FaceBook (well, one Palestinian and one Jordanian) and they're really nice people.

I hope a sensible solution can be found.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

would not a One State solution be the best - when people talk of a 'one state solution', they're usually talking about one state ruled by Arab Palestinians.

There is no reason to believe why such a state would be any good at all. Bye bye gays, atheists, etc.

But, yes, one state ruled by Jews might be best, but so unlikely as to be impossible.

Israel has existed since 1948 - it also existed thousands of years ago, too.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Pete, you are being obtuse on purpose or by lack of understanding. It does not matter if giving the Jews Palestine was right or wrong it is and we all have to deal with what is.

Read my comment again.I made a similar point.

And as far as who should stop the attacks first, it's been a tit for tat for 50 years. Saying "you first" is just pointless. Sure, if the Palestinian extremists would stop sending their crude rockets and stop the bombings and suicide attacks AND Israel would stop the Gaza blockade that is preventing foreign aid to help the human suffering, stop the illegal settlements, stop the retaliatory airstrikes that have killed thousands of civilians, and both sides could forget the injuries they have done to each other.....we would have peace
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

if the Palestinian extremists would stop sending their crude rockets and stop the bombings and suicide attacks AND Israel would stop the Gaza blockade that is preventing foreign aid to help the human suffering, [italics mine] - Gaza gets aid every year. Hamas should stop spending aid money on rockets and spend it on its citizens instead.

stop the illegal settlements - you're right here. Israel should definitely stop the illegal settlements (in West Bank, not Gaza, although you mention this just after your point on Gaza, making it look like Israel is stealing land from citizens of Gaza).

The cycle of violence often begins and ends with Hamas/Gazan Palestinians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit