Do you have / admire Charisma?

by The Rebel 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

charisma is a great quality to have - imo it is to do with exuding warmth, empathy and purpose even when everyone has fallen by the wayside. I think the magnetic quality is very real and does generate devotion and love rather than making people follow blindly.

In the film industry charisma may have to do with how a person comes across on screen - in this sense even Marlene Dietrich could be said to be charismatic despite being cold and unfriendly in real life. So I guess in her acting ability she could portray something quite different from what she was in real life.

but getting back to real life - I think Bill Clinton had great charisma and so did our very own Tony Blair. Probably Margaret Thatcher too.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Ruby456 " charisma is a great quality to have- imo it has to do with exuding warmth, empathy and purpose even when everyone has fallen by the wayside. I think the magnetic quality is very real and does generate devotion and love rather than making people follow blindly"

It was in that comment Ruby, that I realized animals have charisma. And my sisters recently departed Collie " Max" had it in abundance. Oh how I still remember that living animal running free in a field, his beautiful movements the friendly bark. It still feels quite unfamiliar entering my sisters house now " Max" has departed.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

But our entertainment industry is built on such magnetism, like footballers who dribble a ball past opposing defenders, and then have the ability to with additional accomplishment put the ball in the net - yes, footballers have charisma and are talented. Look at John Terry, a very good defender in his prime, and he's still good today. But while he was collecting the fatuous 'Father of the Year' award, he was banging star-struck female fans on the back seat of his range rover. Someone without charisma wouldn't have been able to do this.

If your purpose for starting this thread is something like 'ordinary people aren't boring - dig deeper and you'll find them to be quite interesting' then I agree with that premise. But we can't start changing definitions of words to suit ourselves - it's intellectually dishonest.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

LoveUnHateExams " if your purpose for starting this thread is something like ' ordinary people arnt boring- dig deeper and you,will find them really quite interesting, I agree with that premise. But we can't start changing definitions of words to suit ourselfs- it's intellectually dishonest"

The Rebel. Words are fragile, and definitions should change, to precariously conform to the readers definition. This is not intellectual dishonesty it's a sharp intake of breath and a twist of thought when you realize the guest reading your thoughts, has overlooked the point attempted to be made. I say this because no amount of forethought can entirely understand the genius and thinking of another poster who puts an alternative and different viewpoint.

So a thread is all angles and opinions, it's not injury in a grave, but living emotion and opinion, shared by a gallery of posters. This is why I love starting a post and seeing 5 or 6 angles presented, it demonstrates I have something to learn...I wish I had the brain and intellect to debate on some of the more controversial threads.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Words are fragile, and definitions should change - good point. Definitions of words do change, usually over long periods of time. An example is various meanings of the word 'gay' over the last 100 years or so. It used to mean feeling happy; then it meant anything to do with homosexual matters (one of its present meanings); and very recently it means anything lame, used among young people and school kids.

This is why I love starting a post and seeing 5 or 6 angles presented - yes, this can be good.

I posted a definition of charisma as an 'attractive charm in someone that can inspire others', or some such. Perhaps yours and Ruby's warm and empathetic people do match this definition and so exude charisma.

I'm quite cynical, so I'd just urge a caution: charismatic people don't always accomplish good, and people can accomplish good without having charisma.

I wish I had the brain and intellect to debate on some of the more controversial threads - your brain and intellect seem ok to me. Everybody is allowed an opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit