your last big assembly

by stan livedeath 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Starling
    Starling

1986 Toronto district assembly.. It was very hot ..I had 2 small children and was about 8 months pregnant. My husband and I were already having doubts as to whether we really wanted to raise our children in this life. We had both been born in JW families and knew the life growing up in it.. We stayed until the afternoon of the first day. It was the same droning talks spouting doom and gloom unless you stayed faithful. We looked at each other and said Lets get out of here.. and never went back again.. Best decision we made. And our kids thanked us later for not bringing them up as JWs

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

2017 Wolestein Center (f/k/a Cleveland State Convocation Center), Cleveland, Ohio.

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

Think it was in 1985 at the Astrodome in Houston, where they had 2 large accidents on the stage for all to witness. There was someone riding a fork truck thru the gate to the field which was a steep incline and the fork truck flipped over and the crowd gasped in horror. I heard he broke his leg. On the last day they were taking down the 3 level plywood wall that separated the stage and the food prep area and it fell on 2 workers that were underneath them. They were removed by stretchers . Cant forget how cold they kept the enclosed stadium had to bring blankets even though it was over 100 degrees outside. Most people around us would sleep cause it was so boring and cool comfortable in the upper decks. you couldn't see the stage cause it was so far away and had no large tvs like they have today. 50,000 plus were there, but never saw the 2 J,s who were suppose to be there, Joe Hoover and Jose. They always were missing in action even though their names were worn out over the echoing loud speakers.

• Me.Wonderful
    Me.Wonderful

The Loyalty convention - It still makes my skin crawl.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I think it was in Melbourne around 1969/70, possibly the same series.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nottingham Ice rink 2010 was the last one....I don't know about biggest.The 'overlapping generations' one. That did it for me. The overlapping nonsense was the last straw. I never returned after that.

The biggest was probably Wembley in the 60's early 70's? 'Brother(TM)' Knorr was there. But he didn't touch my bum.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Last assembly was Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in about 1990. Capacity was about 50 000 people. Not sure what the actual attendance was.

I was already mentally out and was annoyed because my dress came to just above my knees which is the best fit for short people. But the good kids wore their dresses way below the knee, maybe midway between knee and ankle.

Good thing I wasn't concerned about being in their ingroup. But, you could feel them looking and judging. I was really beyond caring, but it did please me to realize that I looked more professional than they who looked like they were trying to imitate that 1800s prairie style.

God forbid someone see a kneecap! Oh, the immodesty!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit