your last big assembly

by stan livedeath 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

can you remember the last big assembly you went to ? By big--i mean bigger than a circuit job--so--district ? Whole country at a stadium thing.

My last one was old Wembley stadium UK..about 1969 ? 70? I was in my early 20's--with my newish wife. It rained all the time--and i had to sit for hours to please the wife.

i had been to others--Twickers ..Murrayfield--but i was a single teenager then--went with other lads i knew--so no sitting for sessions involved. So sitting trying to look interested was a new and very bad idea. I vowed i would never go to another--and i kept my word.

What was yours ?

• Overrated
    Overrated

1992 Dodger stadium. Forgot the name of the convention. But was the same bullshit I been hearing since birth.

• menrov
    menrov

Don't remember but must have been the best ever

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

The last big assembly I attended was an international convention. I was fully awake at the time. I point that still stays in my mind was the speaker saying that because we know we have the truth there is no need to investigate on the internet. I remember thinking to myself that’s the first place you need to start looking.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Mine was the District Assembly of 2006, I was just beginning to wake up fully. I remember being miserable there. I think I attended one small Circuit Assy. after that but can't be sure. I certainly never did another biggie, I just did not go to the 2007 District Assy, nobody, not even my J.W family, noticed, and by 2008, March, I was gone for good.

I just wish I had been like Stan, and woken up far earlier, but Hey Ho, no Internet, and being a bit Thick, it took me a lot longer.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

2002 in Montreal at the Olympic Stadium, 36,000 in attendance. Audio was horrible, no A/C. At some point, it rained and I had no ambarella. I felt uncomfortable and was asking my self: What's the purpose of this? There were so many people you could barely find your friends, at an era where a lot of people still didn't have phones. Also, my mom got really sick, so I had to bring her back to the hotel. Missed a big portion of the Saturday, but I remember i was sorta glad to have an excuse to leave. I wouldn't say this particular assembly was part of my fund memories.

1988 in Montreal at the Olympic Stadium, 50,000 in attendance. That was the big one that is in my good JW memories. It was at that assembly that they introduced the Young People Ask book. I was a 9 year old kid and they placed all the kids in one special section for that talk. It was pretty cool at the time. My dad had bought a brand new suit. Considering our financial situation, it was a really really big deal. I tripped on a wire on the floor and dropped coffee all over him. At one point, I also got lost and ended up in different sections where people were speaking different languages, like Spanish and German, etc. I remember, at the end, people from different countries were walking in big groups in the middle of the stadium as we sang a kingdom song. People were crying, including my parents. All convinced that Armageddon was just around the corner. That was 33 years ago!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

1996 University Of Cleveland Convocation Center, Cleveland, Ohio. About 3 months after my wife died in April, 1996, I drove to the convention. It was the first convention I ever had to attend by myself. When I got there, I saw others from my congregation and exchanged pleasantries. After a couple of agonizing hours and just before the lunch break, I decided that I didn't want this anymore. I left and drove the almost 3 hours back home and never went to another convention. It took another 4-5 years for me to do my fade and I have never looked back. Life is wonderful without Watchtower and congregation goons deciding your life for you.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

2019 Glasgow hydro , because family were attending from down south.

Remember Murrayfield assembly's four seasons in one day , sitting on the bleachers with a plastic sheet incase it rained or being roasted by the sun ,and the excitement of counting the number of freight carriages as they went by .

• Overrated
    Overrated

What got me is Watchtower would have the con-vention$ on the most hots times of year. There you are sitting to them ranting on and on but bullshit and your are in your best suit sweating your balls off counting down the hours till they end this crap for the day.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

1996, Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit