Re the up-coming American election, a pretty interesting video ...

by LoveUniHateExams 17 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yeah, so this is a pretty good video regarding the up-coming US presidential election.

I'm no expert in US politics, so if this video is a load of crap, please say so ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fo83cP7Vg

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

Yes, the video accurately discusses the issues.

The Watch dog group Judicial Watch (JW) also brings up there are more people registered to vote than the current population in many counties and states.

https://www.judicialwatch.org/press-releases/new-jw-study-voter-registration/

I voted early in Georgia (a State in the US). You must fill out an affidavit form verifying your identity, that you were not paid to vote, and sign it with your name and address, present your ID to verify signature. You are then given a credit card like card to insert into a computer voting machine. After you make your choices you print your ballot out and then put it into a scanner to cast your ballot. This system used here is probably not hackable.

• Clarkey
    Clarkey

It would fair to say that there is some voting fraud happening in the US with this ongoing vote but is it to an extent to change the over all popular vote as in flipping the vote to another side, highly doubtful.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

Clarkey, you can win the popular vote but if you don't get at least 270 Electoral College votes you will not be President. Electoral College "Trumps" popular vote.

From Wikipedia: "The Electoral College is a body of electors established by the United States Constitution, which forms every four years for the sole purpose of electing the president and vice president of the United States. The Electoral College consists of 538 electors, and an absolute majority of electoral votes, 270 or more, is required to win the election. Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 of the Constitution requires each state legislature to determine how electors for that state are to be chosen, and it disqualifies any person holding a federal office, either elected or appointed, from being an elector." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College

• Clarkey
    Clarkey

Electoral College "Trumps" popular vote.

Yes I know

There are check systems in place to counter voter fraud, I would assume that varies from State to State.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Sigfrid

That asking for ID is so troubling to many. My state lets you use a water bill to establish residence.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

"The Electoral College is a body of electors established by the United States Constitution, which forms every four years for the sole purpose of electing the president and vice president of the United States. The Electoral College consists of 538 electors, and an absolute majority of electoral votes, 270 or more, is required to win the election. Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 of the Constitution requires each state legislature to determine how electors for that state are to be chosen, and it disqualifies any person holding a federal office,

So what`s the bloody point of giving the American citizens the right / privilege to vote if the Electoral college can overide the majority opinion of voters ?

"A democracy is a vote by the people for the people"

If the majority of American citizens took the time,energy, and effort to vote for candidate "A" and the rest of American citizens for one reason or another refuse to vote ,then the Electoral college chooses candidate "B" that`s a travesty of justice and un democratic , a farce , a gerrymander.

But on further investigation ,I find that both the Republican party and the Democrat party are both happy to leave that situation as it is , and as far as I can tell so do the majority of the American people,all I can say then is ,

You Deserve the president You Get. Whoever that may be.

• TD
    TD
    So what`s the bloody point of giving the American citizens the right / privilege to vote if the Electoral college can overide the majority opinion of voters?

--From thefederalistpapers.org

• TD
    TD
    But on further investigation ,I find that both the Republican party and the Democrat party are both happy to leave that situation as it is , and as far as I can tell so do the majority of the American people,all I can say then is.

Yes. And in the same vein, Republicans have been perfectly happy with absentee / mail-in ballots in past.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The EC gives my state a say ( so far). Los angeles has more people than my entire state. The problem is not the EC as such but the extremists who want to bully everyone. Mob rule

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit