Who was the founder of Jehovah's Witnesses? JW Org states it was not Russell

by ToesUp 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

https://www.mormon.org/faq/founder-of-mormon-church

Who founded Mormonism and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Official Answer

In the spring of 1820, a 14-year-old boy named Joseph Smith went into a grove of trees near his home in Palmyra, New York, and prayed to learn which church he should join. In answer to his prayer, God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, appeared to him, just as heavenly beings had appeared to prophets like Moses and Paul in biblical times. Joseph learned that the Church originally organized by Jesus Christ was no longer on the earth.

Joseph Smith was chosen by God to restore the Church of Jesus Christ to the earth. During the next 10 years, Joseph was visited by other heavenly messengers, translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God, and received divine authority to organize the Church. The Church was organized in Fayette, New York, on 6 April 1830, under the leadership of Joseph Smith. It has grown to an organization with members and congregations throughout the world.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I remember watching Herbert W. Armstrong give his pitches on television. He, like the JWs, was a great believer in publishing. He came to identify himself with the return of the prophet Elijah. And he never took money. He'd hold up a booklet and say, "Now you can't buy this booklet. You don't have enough money to buy this booklet! But I'm going to tell you how you can get a copy of it and you won't have to spend a dime to get it!" But his claims were no greater than Rutherford's, who I believe had more of a right to the Society's founding father status than Russell. Thus, whether it's Armstrong, Russell, Rutherford or David Pack, there has to be some connection to God if one is to establish legitimacy.

• millie210
    millie210

Christian Science proudly gives credit to its origins to Eddy at their website

http://christianscience.com/what-is-christian-science/mary-baker-eddy

• millie210
    millie210

The info at the Seventh Day Adventist website is very honest. It even refers to its early days as "not the churches finest hour".

Still, the accurate data is in stark contrast to JW org.

https://www.adventist.org/en/information/history/article/go/-/ironically-early-adventists-were-reluctant-missionaries/

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Since Jesus is the Founder of Christianity, we view him as the founder of our organization.....WBT$

Only WatchTower "Super Jesus" can save Stephen Lett from looking Stupid!...

...............I Need Help!................................I`ll Help You Stephen!..

Image result for Watchtower stephen lett.............Image result for Super Jesus

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To remain JWS you have to sustain the vow that the leaders of this organization (GB) have been selectively chosen by god over all other Christian based faiths, even to blindly look over the many false commercially devised doctrines this organization created over the years and corrupt lies the leaders have made.

Its in the baptism talk and its asked usually at every JC meeting where opposing questioning are presented toward those recognizable false doctrines..

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Exactly what Flipper said on the first page of comments in this thread!

Well said sir!

• steve2
    steve2

In answer to his prayer, God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, appeared to him, just as heavenly beings had appeared to prophets like Moses and Paul in biblical times. Joseph learned that the Church originally organized by Jesus Christ was no longer on the earth.

Joseph Smith was chosen by God to restore the Church of Jesus Christ to the earth.

Okay, this official bio has 'a bob both ways'. It names Joseph Smith but surrounds him with phrases that make it clear that God and Jesus Christ were involved in the restoration of the Church.

I can take my hat only half off.

• Chook
    Chook

Imagine the judge on the ARC questioning Geoffrey Jackson on who the founder of JW is ,the response would be "that's presumptuous ". I believe head office will under all circumstances avoid any GB to ever be brought before a judicial system again ,it wouldn't surprise me that one day they buy a tropical island and pay some poor country enough money to have this island declared with individual sovereignty, they build a nice little luxury estate fit for princes ( Geoffrey Jacksons wife likes this climate). They could then rightly claim to have created paradise on earth, the GB could then rightly be called a governing body of turtles and coconuts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit