Unsung Movie Villains

by LoveUniHateExams 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

We all know the big movie villains get a lot of credit and appear in multiple movies - the shark in Jaws, Darth Vader, and before them Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster, etc.

But there must be plenty of villains that get forgotten.

I thought Clarence Boddicker (played by Kurtwood Smith) was fantastic in Robocop (1987) - a real psychopath.

Another character who springs to mind is Vilos Cohaagen (Ronny Cox) in Total Recall (1990), I thought he was very good too.

Obviously these and other movie villains do get some critical acclaim but they don't get their own franchise and they rarely get universal praise.

Maybe 'Unsung Movie Villains' is the wrong phrase but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say! XD

• snugglebunny
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I'm dating myself .... but Peter Lorre always gave me the shivers.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Keyser Soze - The Usual Suspects.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The Sherrif of Nottingham as played by Alan Rickman in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I always love a good movie thread, uni, but theres a problem with this one, at least from my perspective.

Most good tales involve a hero or heroes overcoming a dastardly villain. We cheer for the heroes because they fight the villainy we hate and its only because they struggle to overcome the evil that they are heroes.

In short, great heros dont exist without great villains and great movies dont exist without great heroes. Any movie we think is great is likely to be great because, in no small part, of the villain. Ive been largely unable to think of an unsung villian.

• freddo
    freddo

Paul Reiser: Carter J Burke, the sleazy Weyland-Yutani executive in Aliens who is more interested in his career and money than the team fighting the aliens.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Not a "villain" per say unsung or otherwise more of an antihero persona but the Tyler Durden character from Fight Club is one of my favourite characters of all time from one of my favourite movies of all time.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Fight club is phenomenal

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Oo who could forget Agent Smith from The Matrix.

BTW everything you need to know about life you can learn from The Wizard of Oz, Fight Club and The Matrix - IMO just sayin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit