So my wife is upset her MIPI father is broke because of being a witness.

by blownaway 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• blownaway
    blownaway

I posted this before, but my wife is upset and not handling it well. Her mother has Alzheimer and is in a care facility for the rest of her life. Between medicare and caid she is paid for the care. But her dad is dad broke. He is taking care of her younger sister 44 yo and trying to get on SSI. My wife is mad her dad is broke but wants to blame others. I had to stop her and tell her that I support you and its a hell of a thing you are going through but I was told 35 years ago I did not know what I was talking about when I said you had to work to make a retirement. Her dad told me he was never going to die, did not need to worry about retirement because he would never need it bla bla bla. I told her if she know then what she knows now there is nothing she could say or do to change the bed her sister and parents made for themselfs. I think she feels guilty because we are doing OK. I am 56 and have been semi retired for several years. For over 20 years I worked night and day 5 years in a row I never had off a Sunday or Saturday. I saved and invested and bought rentals and rand them up to last year I sold my last one. I refuse to feel guilty because someone made bad decisions. Her mother never worked and was a special pioneer for years. People make their beds and then it costs them. The GB is the cause of much suffering and they deserve to be tried and hung for their crimes.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The GB is the cause of much suffering and they deserve to be tried and hung for their crimes.

But the GB members of the Watchtower Corporation have their hands on millions $$$ and they have a sustaining retirement fund to live off from.

They are well taken care of in food, shelter, health and travel as they fly around the world and get treated like adorned celebrities.

Their invested lies and corruption have paid off

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Good post, being a small business owner ( precision machining ) I used to get lots of grief over the fact I'm a workaholic and not a millionaire. ( as if I have nothing to show for it being modest myself ) JW's attitudes towards money are pathetic, they tend toward the fast easy money spectrum of things. They thumb their noses on the long term view of work life / career and seem to prefer members with good situations either through inheritance or cleaning empires. That and union jobs preferred for good standing in the congregation of dimwits.

A school bus driver, his wife and a financially independent retired widow used to rag on me for working seriously and investing in newer equipment and machine tools. WORK had become a four letter word for them.

Good for you BA glad you had the foresight to see through the BS, it got to a point I almost cashed everything in at one point thanks to the brainwashing.. glad I held on and 'worked' through it LOL

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I refuse to feel guilty because someone made bad decisions. Her mother never worked and was a special pioneer for years. People make their beds and then it costs them.

I concur with your sentiments there. My parents fell into the same predicament. They donated LOTS of money to their Congregations through the years. Fortunately they were fairly well off in life, but now my mother is very close to outliving their nestegg and we are assisting financially (and fortunately are able to do so). She has become aware that all that they(we) were promised has failed, but at her age, "where else is she to go?" (And I agree with that.)

It is my opinion that if I am offering to help someone financially, I can put conditions on my gift. Such as, she is no longer giving money to WTS. I'm not going to help support her so that she can support them. She has been a "pillar" in her Cong for decades and many do offer to help her with things (repairs, etc), and I let them. She deserves it.

In your situation, if the 44 year old sister is capable of being gainfully employed at some/any kind of work, but is choosing to pioneer, I would insist that she get a job and contribute to the household before I started sending him money. You can quote WT scripture on that. She needs to care for her own needs before you do so. In the current economy, anyone who WANTS a job, can find one.

Just my 2¢

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BLOWNAWAY:

Congratulations for having the strength of character to resist the Witness ridiculous advice and planning for your retirement anyway.👍🏻

I thought like you did. Of course, the price was that I was labeled “unspiritual” and not invited much back in the day.

The congregations are going to be hotbeds of misery and trouble. Not just because of the JWs who are coming of retirement age and who have not planned - but because of fired bethelites dumped in their laps in addition to other “troubled” types who joined in recent years.

I predict that any JW with a job or any JW who looks halfway decent in the congregations is going to be hit up for money left and right like they were ATM machines.

Needless to say, I’m glad I’m not around this anymore.

• blownaway
    blownaway

Thanks for the support, my big problem is my wife is not seeing things correctly. Yes its hard, but her parents and sister made their bed. I have to be a bit tactful but the fact remains her sister is extremely over weight. Like 5.3 feet and 370 pounds. She is suicidal and depressed. But lives on FB looking and living through other Dubbers lives. When My wife and I were first married we went through some very tough times. We were in the middle of the 80s depression recession. I was determined not to ever be down to my last dollar. But her sister is not that bothered when she is out of money and has nothing. I don't know if its the JW and the big A is soon to come or just stupidity or a combination of both. As bad as things are her dad still talks of getting time to get out in service more.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Hi Blownaway

Sorry to read of your predicament. My suggestion is as follows;

Your first and foremost responsibility is toward your immediate family, i.e. your wife and dependable members.

Thereafter, if you have surplus funds, you could offer to assist as you deem fit.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"Jehovah will not cause the soul of the righteous one go hungry........".-Proverbs 10:3

"I have also grown old, and yet I have not seen anyone righteous left entirely, nor his offspring looking for bread." - Psalms 37:25

With your father in laws long history of devotion and service to Jehovah, I am sure his financial windfall will arrive from heaven soon.!

In God We Trust: ALL OTHERS PAY CASH

• blownaway
    blownaway

I guess my wifes sister has an attorney and a court date to try to get SSI. She was on SSI got in an accident that in all fairness was not her fault. A drunk crossed the line and hit her head on. She had surgery, She got a settlement and the SSI was taken away because she had money. She ran though it and then had no SSI. I hope she gets it deserve it nor not just to take pressure off my wife's dad.

• cha ching
    cha ching

"If they don't want to work, neither let them eat".... They quote it, but do they live it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit