Infinity versus nothing

by Fisherman 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Giordano
    Giordano
    You might have observed cat, after releasing its feces, covering it making a heap of sand over it—an amazing feat (which shows consideration for others), a superb loving act that it could not have learned from even humans.

That's about the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. This is the reality:

Cats that live in the wild or indoor pets allowed to roam outdoors kill from 1.4 billion to as many as 3.7 billion birds in the continental U.S. each year, says a new study that escalates a decades-old debate over the feline threat to native animals.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/29/cats-wild-birds-mammals-study/1873871/

• Charles Gillette
    Charles Gillette

Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing...A Universe From Nothing. Lawrence M. Krauss. One of the central points of his book is that "We don't know all the answers". I found his book to be satisfying for me. Charles

• DJS
    DJS

Thanks Giordano. Stray cats are a plague and a menace. A lot of areas are trying to eradicate them for the reasons you mention. If it was god, I don't know what she was thinking when she conceptualized the damage felines on the loose could cause.

But enough about my ex GF.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@Fisherman -

I agree that it's hard to comprehend the origin of everything, the infinity vs nothing as you put it. Does either view correlate to a loving father that created it all and that is infinite in himself? If life is so important to him, and he loves to create in infinite terms (i.e. the universe), why isn't there life anywhere else that we can find? Shouldn't the universe be teeming with life, instead of nothing? What does the known universe speak to, vibrant intelligent life, or nothingness? Your OP got me thinking about this. Thanks.

• Fairlane
    Fairlane

Excluding god as the cause at least imo is evidence of human beings using intelligence,whereas the intelligence needed to achieve the irrefutable answer could well be beyond the scope of the capacity of the human brain, which as all components of the human body has limitations. The scientific study of the physical aspects of the universe is understandable because we have the capacity to test and experiment according to our brains capacity of the physical of which we are a part being that we are made up of the sum of that which surrounds us, outwith that (which is the rub ) may well be conditions beyond our ken (comprehension )

• Simon
    Simon

The normal human experience makes thinking about these things a challenge.

The universe is expanding ... so what is it expanding into?

There is no gap, the universe contains everything, it's like nothing we can visualize or imagine. There is no boundary to it that you can step past and you can never get to the boundary.

Time and gravity are linked so before there was a universe there was no time ... which means there was not really a "before".

• ballistic
    ballistic
    so in what location did the substance that expanded into the time/space universe exist before the big bang?

You can't apply the question, "what location" to when no space existed, the question is non-sensical.

Where did the energy that caused the big band come from?

Again you are asking a question from a human perspective "where"? This can only be asked about after the big bang, not before.

How did the substance that became the big bang change from being inert and sterile and come to life to having the properties and drive that it does?

There couldn't have been a substance before the big bang, nor would it have any properties.

If something always existed then that something always had properties and drive. If nothing always existed then that nothing is really something.

I personally think that infinity has always existed but time is the illusion, and infinity = 0.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I found his book to be satisfying for me. -- Charles

So is the Bible something to some.

Krauss' book about nothing is scientific in the beginning but everything else is fiction. His nothing is not idle but is defined by its nature, a physical force that morphs into something.

SBF, this is off topic but your posts on this Forum are an adornment to every thread. (what a loss to wt!)

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Of course why is there something rather than nothing is the ultimate question -Cofty

No. Rather, the real question is how did it happen given the universe and its nature. To say that nothing is another option presumes that something isn't infinite but if something is in reality infinite then nothing never existed and never an option.

• cofty
    cofty

eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit