Will Mars Encounter be Catastrophic?

by Preston 17 Replies latest social current

• Preston
    Preston

First of all, please forgive my absence in light of preparations for the wedding and such...I will try to be more regular with my meeting attendance (not that kind silly...!)

Anywho, My roomate (a.k.a. the self-proclaimed oracle of the household) and I were having a discussion the other day about Mars coming as close to Earth this month as it has in almost 60,000 years. The closest coming will be on Aug. 27. We related our discussion with the notion that everything in the universe has a broad effect on everything else. In relationship to our own planet, winds are stirred by planets in rotation, the sea rises and falls due to the attraction of our earth to the sun, and so on and so forth. Anyway, he feels that as Mars gets closer to our planet it will also have an effect on our weather and earth patterns: there will be earthquakes in California and China, possible hurricanes, and maybe and asteroid or two (!). He tempered our discussion by saying he could be wrong, but it is an interesting thought. For those in here who know anything about science (not me) how accurate do you think his prediction will be?

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's psuedoscience.

SS

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Total BS.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Could be it'll affect peoples' attitudes is the greater possibility.....as possibilities go...

Frannie B

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I take back my last post.

I am now selling Mars Disaster Insurance.

For only $100 I will repair any damage to any of your property that results from the gravitational forces of Mars getting so close to Earth.

On a side note... I am also selling Armageddon Disaster Insurance.

For only $50 per month I will compensate you for any injuries, financial loss, or property damage resulting from Armageddon, (also known as "The end of the world"). Note: You must demonstrate that any claims are the result of the total destruction of the earth by a supernatural being known as "YHWH".

• ballistic
    ballistic

I am now selling Mars survival kits at $5

• Valis
    Valis

Hey Pressed On Nails...where have you been? Its been a while since i've seen you about..You can tell your oracle that he has no need to worry and should probably think of inversting in a new magic 8 ball. Mars would have to have massive gravitational pull and be much much closer to us than it is to affect our weather. On the other hand, maybe we can use it as an excuse for all kinds of things....bad hair day...damn you Mars! Bad hangover...*very quietly* dam you Mars!, not enough sex....Dammit Mars!....*LOL* Hope all is well is Prestonland....take care..

*LOL* Else..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• freedom96
    freedom96

About 20 years ago there was a book out, and a lot of talk about " The Jupiter Effect."

It claimed that Jupiter was going to be so close that it was cause abnormal conditions on earth greatly having to do with gravity. Earthquakes would happen, tidal waves, etc.

I remember being at school, and some melodramtic girls were crying and screaming that we were going to die that day!

We are still here doing just fine, and Mars will be easier to see in the sky. Nothing more exciting than that.

• Swan
    Swan

The last time this happened in 1938 aliens landed in Grovers Mills, New Jersey. Time to call on Buckaroo Banzai.

Tammy

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Sounds like dubism, the sky is falling, the sky is falling to me.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit