Disfellowshipping

by jhine 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

the burning desire to be with them became one motivating factor in his restoring his relationship membership with Jehovah W.T.B.&T.$

There are so many things wrong with that statement I cannot even begin to list them.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Of course l was struck by the similarity to the WT disfellowshipping someone. So it seems that they are following an old Jewish practice, who knew ?

Many/most orthodox religions follow a sort of excommunication. Some surprisingly similar to JW's.

There is a Netflix show called "Unorthodox" about the struggles of a young woman attempting to live her own life outside of the Hasidic community.

Another series filmed in Israel is "Shtisel". It is about an orthodox family. One of the things I learned from it is all TV, "worldly" literature/music etc. is forbidden. So as some things are different, the control issues are very much the same. **shiver**

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/arts/television/shtisel-netflix-orthodox-judaism-hasidim.html

• jhine
    jhine

Dagney which orthodox religions do this apart from orthodox Jews ?

Jan

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

We have to remember the JW's are not a real religion. They are just a business concern and if you don't do the job as the bosses (Governing Body(TM)), say, you'll get the boot.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

A quick quiz for JWs -

1. Name one person in the New Testament that was disfellowshipped and reinstated.
    2. Show where in the entire Bible the words "disfellowshipped" or "reinstated" are found.
  • joao
    joao

Those two words will probabily appear in the "new scrolls"! 😀

• JeffT
    JeffT

LongHairGal: I saw something very like that. At the time (70's) I was in the Pullman, WA congregation. We had a visiting speaker from some tiny town in Idaho. That Congregation probably hadn't seen a new person in a decade or two. Speaker made a snide comment about Catholics that would have gone unnoticed in his own congregation. Unfortunately one of our pioneers sisters picked that day to bring her (Roman Catholic) study to the Hall.

Study was offended and left in huff during the song between talk and Watchtower study. Pioneer was seriously ticked off, after the meeting ended the elders had a meeting which ended with a letter to the Idaho congregation telling them to not send that guy to speak at our hall. Ever. I heard through the grapevine that the visiting speaker never did understand what he'd done wrong.

Another perfect example of how insulated JW's are. That was not the last tone deaf thing I heard from a witness, not by a long shot. For that matter I heard similar offensive remarks at a main stream church, before I stopped going to religious meetings entirely.

• Dane88
    Dane88

The way Jesus set up disfellowshipping in the first century is completely different to how it is being implemented today. Here are the details if you are interested: "Disfellowshipping in the Early Congregations"

:^)
    Dane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit