It sucks too love boxing and being in a JW family

by Akid48 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Akid48
    Akid48

During this new year I started to love boxing and I can only really do is shadowbox which is good training, but i really want to do more.

Now you might be thinking ''Why the heck would this kid take a likeing in boxing when he is in a JW family?''Well thats the point of this post it sucks that i cant do a sport that i like and i want to spend time doing because JW's dont let you do sports and dear god you wont be able to do something like boxing.

(i just made this because i just wanted to talk about this and some of you will understand if you wanted too do sports but you couldnt because you where a part of a JW family)

• Alex Bogdanov
    Alex Bogdanov

Hi Akid48, I think its not only boxing. It is everything that takes time away from the ministry. My parents are not JW, but my cousin was and I became JW when I was 13. I was always into something besides ministry. I was in drama class in school. I was playing for school's football team and I participated in local cycling competitions. Brothers and sisters from my congregation didn't appreciate it. They thought it is bad because I spend time with worldly people and I develop competitors spirit. Even though at 16 I became a pioneer they were still trying to tell me that I need to quit my wordly activities and do more for the organisation. I never understood that. I am a pioneer. I give away 3 hours a day of my life. How much more do they want? In the end of the day I am happy I never gave up my activities. Because when I grew up I had friends all over the place. But my JW peers have no one besides their congregation and have a very sad, boring life. But thats what they want who am I to judge. So if you like boxing continue with it but prepare for the pressure that will come from JWs. Hopefully your parents will understand you

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

When I was 17/ 18 I took up Judo as a sport casually at first and then really got to enjoy it and no one in my family were J.W.`s

The trouble is I converted when I was 19 and the general consensus then was that it was not a good thing to pursue .It is one of the little things I regret to this day giving up something I liked and enjoyed trying to please other people and a religion who would throw me on the scrap heap if I didn`t tow the line.

Do what you want to do in your life but be prepared for the consequences.Of course it all depends upon how old you are .If you are a minor you still need to obey and be subject to your parents .

O.K i just looked back and your only 13/14 yrs.old ,I`m sorry but you might just have to bide your time until you are old enough to go your own way.

I hope others can give you better advice

Take care

• sinboi
    sinboi

Hey, I am learning boxing too. But I am learning thai boxing (Muay Thai). Tell your relatives I challenge you in boxing. If I lose, I will go back to the wt. Tell them you need to excel in boxing to save a soul. Hahaha!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Oh man, I would have loved to box. Great exercise, great stress relief, very good for ADHD to let me get out energy and very stimulating for the mind. I loved sports and just wanted to play anything.

Sorry you're missing out. You're not alone.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I wanted to play tennis. My brother soccer. We couldn't do these things because extra curricular activities were frowned upon.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Smiddy3 -

I took Judo and college and loved it. I was still in at the time. If memory serves, there's a really old Watchtower article entitled "Try Judo". That blew me away.

Akid48 -

The whole Witness non-violence thing is all due to the misinterpretation of scripture. "They will learn war no more." When is the last time people put on gloves and boxed on the battlefield? Unfortunately boxing is a disfellowshipping offense.

• intrigue169
    intrigue169

if you are a minor and not baptized, tell your parents you don't want go to meetings anymore. They will not like it but you can counter whatever they say with a Awake from July 2009 about nobody should be forced into a religion titled

Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?

"Should family conflict be avoided at all costs? The Bible teaches that children should be obedient to parents and that wives should be in subjection to their husbands. (Ephesians 5:22; 6:1) However, it instructs those who love God to “obey God as ruler rather than men.” (Acts 5:29) Thus, at times, loyalty to God may result in your making a decision that is unpopular with some family members.

Although the Bible makes a clear distinction between true and false teachings, God allows each person the freedom to choose how he or she will respond. (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20) No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family. Does study of the Bible lead to family breakup? No. In fact, the Bible encourages a husband and wife who practice different religions to remain together as a family.​—1 Corinthians 7:12, 13."

If they make you still go to meetings tell everyone in the congregation including elders, that you do not want to follow men aka the governing body. your parents will stop forcing you to go. If you are baptized it can be a little tricky

when I was younger I was raised by my grandmother. she had 11 kids with my mother being the oldest and the youngest was one year younger than me. growing up a lot of us kids (ants and uncles included) showed no interest in watchtower and grandma still loved us. I ended up playing football in and wrestling in high school. My grandmother never pressured us to get baptized because she did not want to shun any of us. She would pressure us into a family book study though and always offered us to go to meetings.

If you let your parents know that you do not believe they will never pressure you into getting baptized. They might want to study with you more though

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I don't know why people give advice like the above with that article. You know it doesn't truly work that way for most kids and it will just make things worse on him. JWs are hypocrites. How many times have you seen the advice you gave work? I'm not saying it can't, but the possibilities are super slim and would just cause so many issues for most kids.

It sounds cool on paper, but not as much in reality unless you have rare JW parents.

• intrigue169
    intrigue169

growing up I did not have access to the internet but I made it known I wanted no part of the meetings when I was a teen and the elders told my grandma not to force us to go if we really did not want to go, albeit it was not just me. Maybe just maybe Jehovah would call us back latter . If I knew then what I know now I might have been able to wake up my grandmother or at least plant a few seeds. God she had all the old books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit