Terrorist attack in Turkey leaves 28 dead

by ILoveTTATT2 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

What is the reason behind terrorism? Religion? Land? Retaliation? Vengeance?

I read on the internet that the US was responsible for the Maine in order to have reason to war with Spain.I also read on the internet that the US knew about Pearl Harbor before it happened so they had a reason to bomb Japan. And of course, the reason to bomb Japan killing more civilians than military was to stop Japan from making any more war and to stop Japan from killing and torturing any more Americans. Anyway, these horrific acts had a reason behind them.

• Simon
    Simon
    Anyway, these horrific acts had a reason behind them.

Yes, a stupid reason based on a militant religious ideology.

TrumpyMcTrumpface is on the case though, he's figured out that bombs going off in airports killing lots of people is "baaaad, really baaaad".

What we need is calm heads. We're winning the war and driving them back, recapturing territory and bankrupting them. We should not give them what they are desperate for which is an overreaction - the perfect recruiting tool.

• Simon
    Simon
    I read on the internet that ... the US knew about Pearl Harbor before it happened so they had a reason to bomb Japan.

Are you kidding me?

They planned ahead to fight a war over many years in order to have an 'excuse' to drop a bomb that wasn't even being developed when it all started?

"I read on the internet" is something idiots use. That's the sort of crap Trump comes out with.

What next, something about crop circles?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I also read on the internet that the US knew about Pearl Harbor before it happened so they had a reason to bomb Japan

I was not alluding to the atomic bomb.

And of course, the reason to bomb Japan killing more civilians than military was to stop Japan from making any more war and to stop Japan from killing and torturing any more Americans.

I was referring to the atom bomb.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Just a few years ago I visited Turkey and things had been safe and relatively calm. Then they open their doors to hundreds of thousands of refugees and now terror attack after terror attack. If the left had their way, all of them would have been in the USA already.

• Simon
    Simon

The world is still cleaning up the Bush legacy.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

There have been repeated posts of Muslims proclaiming that terrorism is evil and against the faith. They don't seem to make as much noise as a bomb blast, unfortunately.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/08/21/muslim-leaders-have-roundly-denounced-islamic-s/200498

Most will take issue with my source, but it was easier than 20 individual links. Let's be real, no one really cares if Muslims condemn terrorism-we've been doing it for a long time and you still think we are silent on the issue.

I'd appreciate it if this doesn't devolve into a debate about how stupid you all think I am. I'm kind of over that. I have denounced it often, but I'm not the leader of CAIR, Al Azhar Uni, The Arab League, etc. No one gives a crap, least of all the ones who claim to be Muslim and are committing atrocities.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Personally JWDaughter I am glad to hear of any Muslim condemning terrorist acts.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Just a few years ago I visited Turkey and things had been safe and relatively calm. Then they open their doors to hundreds of thousands of refugees and now terror attack after terror attack. If the left had their way, all of them would have been in the USA already.

The political situation in Turkey is far more complex than that.

For a start, they have a leader, Erdoğan, who is taking the country backwards in terms of secularism and religious separateness from politics. There is open conflict with the PKK. They cross the divide between the West and East in many ways which encourages extremists to focus on soft targets in the country. They were the first country to declare ISIS a terrorist organisation and have provided open support to the USA (e.g. allowing the US to operate within Turkish airspace) in action against ISIS.

There is no doubt that the Turkey/Syria border is ineffective in stopping arms and people crossing either way but that's not because they opened their border, it because (a) there is a war next door to them and (b) they have sided against ISIS who are sitting pretty next door to them. It's true to say that terrorists have made use of the refugee crisis but to tar a group of vulnerable and needy people with the brush of extremism is unfair.

Turkey is still safe IMHO. It's a large country and the risk of being caught up in an attack is slim. In most of the country westerners can walk the streets safely and be welcomed. Of course one needs to be sensible but it's not like the place is a war zone. Even the UK FCO, who advise on travel for UK citizens, say it's generally safe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit