Ozzie's Weekend Poll #59 (again! thanks to Angharad )

by ozziepost 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G’day all, Yep, we’re almost 60! Doesn’t feel "old" though, eh? So, how’s your weekend going? I have to tell you that Mrs Ozzie and I enjoyed a meal at the Apostates Restaurant with the most sublime bottle of shiraz. It was from my favorite winery in the Margaret River region of Western Australia. The winemaker prepares a private bin label which he kindly shares with me. This bottle I’d cellared since the year 2000. It’d aged quite nicely. Oh, the tannins!!. Other than that, the weather is still fine although there was some coastal rain showers late this afternoon. Bethel escaped the drenching! Now how about spending a few moments in reminiscing? It could be illuminating! This weekend’s topic is:

What was the most difficult part of your Dub schedule?
    1. Getting to the meetings on time.
    2. Getting to the meetings 20 minutes early!
    3. Just getting to the meetings
    4. Sunday morning witnessing.
    5. Christmas Day witnessing
    6. Having a schedule!
    7. Five meetings
    8. Getting to the "big meeting" each week
    9. So, who can get the kids ready on a Sunday morning to get to the field service meeting place by 9 o’clock?
    10. Reading the text
    11. The family study (well, either the kids were bored, or you went to sleep!)
    12. Other (please detail)
    As always, we’re looking forward to reading your replies. Enjoy. Cheers, Ozzie "We don’t want to forget, but we mustn’t let our memories lead us into negativism." – Otto Frank (quoted in the book "Anne Frank, The Biography" by Melissa Muller)
  • smack
    smack

• blondie
    blondie

1. Getting to the meetings on time.--No problem when I went, I am on time for everything--military training.

2. Getting to the meetings 20 minutes early!--See #1

3. Just getting to the meetings--preparation before? See #1

4. Sunday morning witnessing--Never went, would sleep in, have a nice breakfast, read the paper, cuddle with my husband

5. Christmas Day witnessing--I went only in the days I regular pioneered and was behind in my hours. For the last 20 years I would never go out on Xmas Eve/Day, New Year's Eve/Day, US Thanksgiving, Memorial Day. Now I don't go out on all 365 days.

6. Having a schedule!--Have a schedule now just revolves around different things.

7. Five meetings--I vote for this one

8. Getting to the "big meeting" each week--what's the "big meeting"?--Is that my private meeting with the elders every week?

9. So, who can get the kids ready on a Sunday morning to get to the field service meeting place by 9 o’clock?--no kids

10. Reading the text--I read the scripture but skipped the WTS comments. I would cross reference the scripture and make up my own comments.

11. The family study (well, either the kids were bored, or you went to sleep!)--No kids

I don't miss the performance-based activities of the WTS that they think proves one is worthy of life.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

All of the above, Oz....all of the above...

Frannie B

• Shakita
    Shakita

I would have to say "all of the above" too....but if I had to pick one, I would have to say reading the text. I absolutely hated reading and studying those magazines! I never studied ahead, and never underlined or highlighted....and I was counselled many times on the benefits of these obvious brainwashing tactics over the years. I am sure that my kids would say the family study. When we were a young family in the cong., we were the "model" JW family from all outside appearances, so we were up on the platform with our kids a few times over the years on the benefits of family studies. But as the kids got older, they rebelled against the repetative brainwashing techniques of the (boring)family studies, and we ended up stopping them altogether for everyone's own sanity!

Mrs. Shakita

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

# 10

Reading the text EVERY DAY????? PLEASE!!! And they even tell you what time of day to read it!!!!

That's more than I would allow ANYONE to intrude on my life!!!

Walter

• gumby
    gumby

Nothing made me madder than the idea that Christmas day was a special service day.The magazine for that week.....to top it off.......was about the paganess of Christmas.

Imagine a family in their PJ's on sunday morning all opening gifts.........and two old ladys are knocking on your door with some magazines to give you about how wrong you are doing by celebrating this day.

What a bunch of scrooges and rude people.

I never went out that day and couldn't see how anybody else could.

Gumby

• Swan
    Swan

Just getting through the meetings! Sometimes it was so hard. Watching the clock and wondering when it was going to end and worrying it might run overtime.

That's my choice. But eight day assemblies came in a close second. Fortunately I only had to attend one of those in 1969.

Tammy

• marsal
    marsal

# 7!!

• Xena
    Xena

What was the most difficult part of your Dub schedule?

1. Getting to the meetings on time.

We were known for being late....running joke at the Hall :-D

2. Getting to the meetings 20 minutes early!

*snort* AS IF

3. Just getting to the meetings

aaaahhh the endless list of reasons not to go...it's to hot..to cold..raining..I don't feel well...the baby doesn't feel well..the cat looks a bit peakish...nothing to wear...can't find the watchtower....oh dear we are already late to we REALLY want to show up just for 1 hour and 30 minutes of the meeting?????

4. Sunday morning witnessing.

I actually had the meeting for service at my house....talk about your nightmares...you get up...get dress...make sure the house is straight..get some coffee on...and one freaking person shows up....so you HAVE to go out...used to pray no one would show up and we could go back to bed! But noooooo brother "eager" always had to come...

Did it get any worse than this??? Nothing like telling people they are pagens destined for eternal destruction when they are home with their families opening presents and eating Christmas breakfast.....oh yea....

6. Having a schedule!

JW myth presented from the platform to make the rank and file feel bad about themselves...cause you just know if you had the perfect schedule you could BOTH pioneer...

7. Five meetings

lol I used to try and get mine arranged in order......Sunday public talk & WT (insert token service here)..monday book study and tuesday school & service meeting....then you have the rest of the week to have fun study ...

8. Getting to the "big meeting" each week

lol you know if you pretend to go to other congs to visit you can get out of quit a few of these

9. So, who can get the kids ready on a Sunday morning to get to the field service meeting place by 9 o’clock?

Thank God I only had one kid at the time...lol and I tended to use her as an excuse to stay home and make Tydy go out in our place

10. Reading the text

Another JW myth....pleassssssssse

11. The family study (well, either the kids were bored, or you went to sleep!)

See Above ref JW myths to make you feel bad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit